LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I increase memory of labview?

Hello

my program is massive. result, program run very slow at first. can I increase memory of labview? can I faster speed of my program running?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(5,780 Views)

No,   Yes.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(5,763 Views)

LabVIEW can use as much memory as the OS can provide. For LabVIEW for 32 bit Windows that is limited to 2+ GB memory. If you use LabVIEW for 64 bit on a 64 bit Windows system that can be at around whatever physical memory your machine has. More than that is usually only slowing down your system dramatically as the OS has to start swapping memory to the HD.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 3 of 15
(5,751 Views)

The question "can I increase memory of labview?" is weird. Typically you want to minimize the memory use of LabVIEW.

As others have said, the maximum memory depends on the OS and LabVIEW bitness. Most typical is to run 32bit LabVIEW on 64bit windows, which allows LabVIEW to use up to 4GB of memory.

Here are the details.

How do you even know if your problem is memory related? Typical programs with memory issues slow down over time as more and more memory is allocated. If your program is slow at first, maybe it has to do with the way things are loaded.

I am not familar with the term "massive" and what it means in terms of a LabVIEW program. Is it large because of inefficient code structure or is it large because it does a lot of things.

Can you also define "slow"? How do you measure speed? What do you observe exactly (unresponsive front panel, slow front panel updates, hight disk activity, slow execution of timed parts of the program, etc.).

Is this a built application or are you running in the development environment?

If you are running in the development environment, is everything stored locallly? Is everything upgraded to the current LabVIEW version?

You mention memory. Why do you blame memory for the slowness? Do you have any evidence to back this up? There could be many other reasons. What is the actual memory use as seen in the task manager? Does the memory use change over time? How much memory do you have and what else is running on that computer (e.g. certain windows update checks can use up to 1GB at times).

What does the program do? You say i is "slow at first". Does this mean it speeds up over time? Does it communicate with hardware? Does it call third party drivers? Does it use the network? Is there special initialization code that only runs at the beginning?

What is your OS version and bitness. What is your LabVIEW version and bitness?

If you have performance problems, it is worth to fully analyze the situation. Just throwing more memory at the problem is not a viable solution if the program is poorly written overall.

So please provide us with sufficient data to analyze the problem. It would be best to answer all my above questions, then attach your program for inspection. For example 10 greedy loops on the diagram slow down everything, even without memory problems. Programs can also become sluggish if you mess with execution priorities without knowing what you are doing.

Message 4 of 15
(5,733 Views)

Hi

my system specification is as follow:

1- cpu: Core i3-4150  3.50 GHz 64 bit

2- physical memory 4 GB

3- OS windows 7 - 64 bit

I have problem with my code when i start it. it really slow when it start to open. as i click on the icon of my program till it open and become ready for running takes 1.5 min at least. the amount of memory which is used by program is 600 MB at first and no more when it is in running mode (the total memory usage change from 1.5 GB to 2.12 with program starting).

it is program for a monitoring application and there is no communication with hardware yet.

the program size is about 7 MB. when the screen of the program appears (the front panel and block diagram panel) both are unresponsive till 1.5 min.

the amount of memory dose not increase during the running mode but CPU activity increses up to 40 percent. the program run in deveolpment environment and the there are lots of data exchange with MS. Excel.

my LABview version is 13.0 32 bit.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(5,624 Views)

Did you read what altenbach wrote you? You have a bigger chance to get help/solution for your problem if you attach and show your VI or project. Otherwise all the people can do here is guessing...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(5,605 Views)

It sounds like some timeout issue, try unplugging the network cable and temporarily turning off anti-virus.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(5,591 Views)

I atached a simpler and faster version of my code. please check it(block diagram part)

please run "start" file

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(5,491 Views)

You should use a LV project to be more organized.

You do not use typdef controls? What if you have to change something later? You create so much headache for yourself...

Please downconvert your files, I have only LV2012 here...

Message 9 of 15
(5,475 Views)

Thank you Blokk

it is my first program, and I dont know about typdef. may you explain more? I repeated my program because of one wrong.

by the way, I tryed to downconvert but there are some warning because of using report generator 2013 toolkit. is it suitable any way?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(5,462 Views)