LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calibration of a gear system to change the flow rate of a pulse duplicator

I am currently working on creating an interface for a pulse duplicator. For experiments to be undertaken, a dial has to be turned to change the flow rate. these values are never exact. A manual gear system will be designed by my colleague and the gears will move using a servo. I am in charge of writing the labview code that controls the gears. Since I am new to labview, I just wanted to know how I could calibrate this system. Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,186 Views)

Please explain more about what you want to calibrate.

1. You first mention a manual gear system. Then you talk about servo-driven gears controlled by LabVIEW. These seem to be incompatible descriptions. 

2. Does the dial have anything to do with the gears?

3. Gear ratios are fixed when the teeth are cut into the gear. So, what are the variable parameters to be calibrated? What are the known parameters related to the variables? What will you be measuring during the calibration process?

Is this a school/academic project?

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,166 Views)

Thank you for your quick reply.

The gears will be attached to the dial and then connected to the servo. We aim to send a signal from labview to the servo, that will then twist the gears and in turn, twist the dial.

At the moment, the gears are still being designed so the gear ratio is not determined yet.

This system is being designed to adjust flow but what will need calibration is the strength of the signal being sent to the servo and controlling how much it will twist and I wanted some guidance on that before ordering the servo. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,143 Views)

It almost sounds like you are working backwards.

Carefully write down your requirements and specifications.

- What are the minimum and maximum settings for the dial?

- Can the dial be turned more than 360 degrees?

- How fast can the dial be turned?

- How will you protect the user from being injured when the operator is holding the dial as LabVIEW commands the servo to turn the gears and dial?

- How much force must the servo be able to generate? What is the accuracy requirement?

- Is there any other mechanical load in addition to the dial and gears?

- How do you plan to deal with backlash?

- Will the system have sensors to measure the position of the dial/gears/flow rate?

After you have specifications for the amount, speed, and force of the rotation, you can calculate the requirements for the servomotor. Then you can look at the datasheets of servomotors and drivers from various manufacturers to find suitable candidates. The specifications of those controllers will include data on the required inputs - which then become the required outputs from your LV/DAQ system.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,132 Views)