LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO development and stability 2009SP1 vs 2013SP1

Hi Folks,

I am hoping to get some guidance about a LabVIEW project I am working on. The project has recently been upgraded from LabVIEW 8.5 to LabVIEW 2009 SP1. In working with this project I have encountered many problems which are proving difficult to pin down.

I have found that simply setting this system up in a lab is problematic. I was trying to debug a problem where the system was not reading some ini files from the cRIO. This worked fine from the IDE, but not as an executable. I put in some debug code to log some information so I could track down the problem. The problem "magically" went away.

I have seen another developer resolve a problem by rebooting the cRIO 3 or 4 times. (I can see fixing problems by rebooting once, but every reboot ought to give you the same results. You shouldn't have to reboot multiple times to succeed.)

In the absence of hard evidence to the contrary, I am beginning to suspect my tool chain is not reliable. (I have not had this problem with this project or other projects in 8.5. Other projects in 2011SP1 where also fine.) 

While I look for root causes, I wanted to ask if 2009SP1 was known to be less reliable with cRIOs then other versions of LabVIEW. Would it make sense from a reliability point of view to upgrade to a more recent version and if so which one? (I generally like to pick the most recent SP version, but if 2014 is proving to be reliable I would go to that.)

Thanks for any advice!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,420 Views)

I am currently developing a couple of cRIO projects with 2014 and have not had any issues yet.

LabVIEW 2014 had very few new features.  I was a lot of bug fixes.  So I kind of see LabVIEW 2014 as an extension of 2013.

But there are some really cool simulation tools for FPGA that came out with LabVIEW 2013.  So you should at least upgrade to that if you are thinking about upgrading at all.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,414 Views)