cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO can't seem to doscover my SEA 3G module

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there,

I dont't suppose anyone is familiar with the cRIO compatible SEA 3G Mobile communication Module 9721? 

Basically I want to access the GSM on the mdule from the cRIO to send an SMS when a certain condition is reached. I have used the example SMS code with the module connected to my Host PC via ethernt and it works perfectly however when I connect the module to the cRIO directly and set the code to discover the module IP address, it times out.

I have been in contact with SEA several times but they have been of no help at all. I'm just wondeinrg if perhaps anyone might have used this module before and might know where I'm going wrong? Any help is much appreciated,

Kindest Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,780 Views)

Hi Kelly,

I would like to help you but first can I ask:

1. Can you please detail on what you mean with “when I connect the module to the cRIO directly and set the code to discover the module IP address, it times out.” Are you trying to connect the Ethernet port of the 9721 to the Ethernet port of the CompactRIO?
  2. Is your goal to have the cRIO running heedlessly (i.e. not connected to a computer) and still send SMS messages using the 9721?
  3. Is there an error code you’re seeing? If so, can you please attach a screenshot of it?
  4.  Can you please attach the SMS example VI you mentioned? I don’t seem to be able to simulate a 9721 in LabVIEW 2013, but at least I can have a look over the part of the code that could generate a time out error.
  5. What cRIO are you using?
  6. What version of LabVIEW are you using?
  7. What did SEA say about this?
  8. Any other information you feel relevant.

I am looking forward to helping you with this application.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,748 Views)

Hi Petru,

many thanks for your reply. it is greatly appreciated. basically I would like the cRIO to send SMS itself yes. We think we may have discovered the problem. At present we have our host pc connected to link 1 of the cRIO and the 3G module connected to link 2. That may be where the problem lies as the 3G module may need to be connected  to the crio via the link 1 as well so we are hoping to remedy this with a hub.

SEA have repeatedly said to us that GSM can only be used in RTOS and they need to be on the same subnet (we checked over this multiple times). We set up a remote sesison with SEA and they were not able to offer any advice other than having both Hots PC and module connected to link 1. Hopefully this works! If there is no joy with this I may return here in case you are able to help me.

Again many thanks petru, fingers crossed we get it!,

Kind Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,745 Views)

Hi Kelly,

Although I am not aware of the specifics of the 9721 module, it is plausible that it would work only when connected to port 1 and not port 2, because port 1 has slightly different properties than port 1.

For example, the CompactRIO can connect to a network only through port 1, while port 2 is usually used to communicate to another CompactRIO or EthernetRIO expansion chassis.

I am looking forward to hearing if using a hub works, as I have not tried that yet.

Please let the community know if you are having any other issues.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,733 Views)

Hi Petru,

Great news! It worked! and is sending SMS for us successfully through the cRIO. Again many thanks for your help and offer. Fingers crossed now there'll be no more issues with the module! 🙂

Kind Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,712 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kelOb

Hi Kelly,

I am happy to hear that you are successful with the cRIO and SEA module. You are welcome to ask the community for help if you encounter any other issues.

Message 6 of 6
(2,707 Views)