From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO Wire becomes double but I use fixed-point

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everybody,

I've been searching for examples to try to understand why a wire I'm using becomes to double type. I thought it was because the number of bits was higher than 64 bits (LabVIEW doesn't process 64 bits with fixed-point). Can someone give an idea of why is this happening?  Watch the images below to see what's the wire wich causes conflicts. The constants have the value of 1 because I tried to use the minimum bits number and due the operations have in the end a word lenght higher than 64 bits. If you can lead me to a link where someone could have a similar problem it's ok. Thanks in advance.Everthing is good

Here is the conflict

Impossible is nothing
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,203 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bebin

When LabVIEW doesn't know which numeric representation to use, it generally defaults to floating point.  This happens in cases like this where shift registers are used and there's a mismatch of fixed-point represenations.  You can get around this by configuring the output data type of the multiply nodes.  Right-click the multiply node, select "Properties", then select the fixed-point representation you want on the "Output Configuration" tab.   This will enforce the data type.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,183 Views)

The solution for this discussion was to change every VI to Single (SGL) format. Thanks for your answer CMal. I guess I'll choice your answer as the solution because I followed your suggestion. Thanks.

Impossible is nothing
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,114 Views)