From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO-9144 (EtherCAT slave) freezes after master's clock changes

Hello,

I have these chasses:

• cRIO 9024 (EtherCAT Master)
    • 1x NI 9023
  • cRIO 9144 (EtherCAT Slave)
    • 1x NI 9023

The EtherCAT Master has these software items installed:

EtherCAT Master Software.png

I monitor all the system's I/O channels in the Distributed System Manager. I apply an input, and I can see the values update.

However, when I manually change the current time on the cRIO 9024, the EtherCAT slave stops working:

• In the DSM, all of its channel values are completely frozen, while the EtherCAT master's channels still oscillate around the noise floor.
  • The "ERR" LED on the cRIO 9144 does not turn on.

(I also tried making the cRIO 9024 a PTP slave, and updated the PTP master clock. The same thing happened -- EtherCAT slave stopped transmitting data)

Is this expected? My full project will involve many CompactRIOs, and I need to keep all their clocks in sync (using something like PTP or NTP). How can I synchronize the different cRIOs without losing EtherCAT slaves?

Thanks in advance

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,532 Views)

Hi JKSH,

I recommend that you post to the Industrial Communications forum. That forum focuses on products such as EtherCAT systems so you may receive better responses there.

David C
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,494 Views)