From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO 9068 eth0 / eth1 acting mutually exclusive....

Found some cRIO-9068s that are acting like the primary NIC and secondary NIC are mutually exclusive. I cannot get them to simultaneously respond to pings.

New rack - power on.

Use NI MAX to find it via Link local address.

Set Primary:

Set Secondary

Save.

Change Laptop to primary sub net (.3.). Reconnect. See that the secondary is still only set to link local. Re-set per above, save.

Laptop #1 on primary (via one dumb switch) it's set for static on .3.

Laptop #2 on secondary directly connected it's set for static on .4.

Both have WiFi disabled, proxy off, Windows foirewall off, symantic disabled etc.. to cut down on the cinfusion.

Laptop #1: Refresh Chrome and cRIO web page says secondary nic is indeed 4.100. 

Laptop #2: Cannot ping it (secondary NIC).

Laptop #1: I change the primary NIC from 3.13 to 3.53 (any change will do) Save.

BAM! Laptop #2 can now ping 4.100. But wait, now Laptop #1 can't Ping 3.53. So.....

On Laptop #2: I change the secondary NIC from 4.100 to 4.99

BAM! Laptop #1 can now ping 3.53. and...as you may have guessed Laptop #2 can't ping 4.99.

I created a ticket with NI: But thought I would ask here just in case, possibly, someone else has seen this.

I have seen this on two racks. The first had a full application on it, and in the course of troubleshootin I wiped the disk and re-deployed software via MAX. The second rack I didn't even go so far as deploying SW via MAX - it was left in safe mode, and it also did it. I did however flash the firmware of both to 1.1.0f0.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,916 Views)

Hi S1ack,

In order to use both Ethernet ports on the 9068, the second Ethernet port has to be on a different subnet from the first and use a static IP address. This is detailed in the KnowledgeBase article here. There is some good information in the Using Both Ethernet Ports section of this article as well.

I hope this helps!

Robert R. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,873 Views)

Hi Robert,

Recently, on a cRIO 9024, I needed to change the IP of the primary (eth0) network to the subnet used by eth1 and it didn't work.

NI technical support confirmed the problem, but mentioned that newer cRIOs with NI Linux RT don't have this issue. cRIO 9068 runs Linux, so it should be OK with eth0/eth1 in the same subnet.

Can you please check if the Knowledge Base article covers also cRIO 906x and/or cRIO 903x?

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,803 Views)

Hi Nick,

You were told correctly that the new Linux RT OS on the cRIO 9068 and 903x series do not have this issue. The KnowledgeBase article I linked does not apply to the 9068 or 903x series. With either the 9068 or one of the 903x cRIOs, you would be able to ping the cRIO with both laptops on the same subnet. The only thing to be aware of for this is that device discovery in MAX uses eth0. So the laptop connected to eth1 would be able to communicate with the cRIO just fine, but it would not see the cRIO in MAX.

Hope this helps!

Robert R. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,775 Views)