LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO-9035 touchscreen calibration fault on screen invert

I've noticed a bug when using an external HMI touchscreen with the cRIO-9035.

When 'inverting' the screen i.e. rotating the display 180 degrees, the touchscreen calibration does not correctly remapp, right-to-left from left-to-right.  The vertical movement of the touchscreen is correct, but left motion cause a right movement and vice versa. Numerous restart attempts were made to correct and recal the touchscreen - but this bug persistent.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,747 Views)

MrJackHamilton,

Why do you need to flip your monitor?

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,656 Views)

Andrew,

That's a good question...It's quite common to do so. Most display's have a idea viewing angle. In at least 4 projects involving touchdisplays, we've had to invert them, to get the viewing angle idea for the operator. Mainly because you are not sitting infront of the monitor but standing above it...viewing at a skewed angle...not straight on at 90deg.

We are setting the display in a work surface that is about at a 15 deg angle, the monitor in normal orientation....is pitch black....spit it around...and volia!...it image is clear.

Try looking at your computer monitor edge on (start looking 'arcoss' the display surface - instead of into it...and arc over to 180 degrees...and you'll see that in one of the orientations...you see nothing until you hit that magic angle, then it's pretty good for quite a range.

We also notice the fonts on the RT are limited, it would be nice to see some documentation on this. You don't see how everything looks until you run the RT on the cRIO display. It's a trial-n-error method.

Regards

Jack Hamilton

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,649 Views)

Hi Jack,

That's definitely a good reason. Which HMI are you using, and how are you connecting to it? e.g. DVI, HDMI, etc.

Also, how are you calibrating it through the calibration wizard (in Settings > Calibrate Touchscreen), through a VI, or another method?

Thanks,

Andrew T.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,602 Views)

I'm not sure if this is still an issue for you, but I did a few tests and decided to post the results here for posterity. 

I used a TSM-1015 and tested with a cRIO 9033 and 9038. The process for both was the same.

1. Setup the cRIO to use the TSM normally.

2. Go to Settings -> Display. Change "Rotation" field to "Inverted". The screen should now display inverted.

3. Go to Settings -> Calibrate Touchscreen to start the calibration wizard. To get to the wizard, you might need to use a mouse.

Now the touchsceen monitor should be correctly inverted and calibrated. Please note that the two cRIOs I used for this had been freshly formatted and reimaged.

P.S. More information about fonts on real time can be found in this KnowledgeBase article.

Andrew T.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,554 Views)

Andrew,

Thanks for the follow-up, sorry for my delay in response. Yes, we did use the touchscreen calibration in the RT system options. (Not a calibration in the screen menu itself).

I'll reach out to the customer to get the model of the screen.

Follow-up Question: What are the fonts on the RT system and can fonts be added?. We did see the font scaling was a bit off, causing controls to grow and overlay other nearby objects on the FP.

Regards

Jack Hamilton

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,546 Views)

Hi Jack,

It should work with 903x controllers and TSM-101x monitors. I haven't been able to get my hands on a 9035 specifically, but the process should be the same as the 9033, 9035, and 9038 all run the same operating system.

As for fonts, you can determine the list of installed fonts by using the code LJHerskowitz developed. I've dug around a bit to see about adding fonts - it seems like you can add fonts to Linux OS using general functions (see here or here). However, I'm not sure if they will be reflected in your RT application - the best solution might be to find a font that is available already on both systems, and use that font.

Andrew T.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,485 Views)