LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bifurcation

Hi im sorry if this is the wrong place for this but we are studying chaotic circuits and we need a bifurcation map in LABVIEW to finish it off and I have looked high and low but cannot find a way to do it. I know it is possibble though just not by a mere mortal such as myself. We have everything else we just need a this plot and Im not sure how to even start or where to go once I do start . Any help on a starting point or base code diagram would be very helpful.

Thanks again and apologies if this is in the wrong place.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,473 Views)

Hi Epi,

according to Wikipedia there are several types of bifurcation diagrams.

You need to define which one you need…

In general:

The black/white ones could be drawn using XY graphs. The colorful diagram can be made using an intensity graph…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 5
(3,462 Views)

Thanks for the response and sorry for the lack of info we are trying to recreate an experiment a text book had done and i believe the bifurcation was a quadratic black and white. We were using the spikes from the Fourier transform to plot the bifurcation at least this is my understanding. What i need is help on the vi method to plot the bifurcation from the fft part as the frequency increases.

Again this is my understanding and may very well be flawed my biggest problem is my programming skills are very bad and i cant think of a way to make the graph do what I need it to do. Hope this helps and again thanks for the response

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,419 Views)

@Epimetheus wrote:

Hi im sorry if this is the wrong place for this but we are studying chaotic circuits and we need a bifurcation map in LABVIEW to finish it off and I have looked high and low but cannot find a way to do it. I know it is possibble though just not by a mere mortal such as myself. We have everything else we just need a this plot and Im not sure how to even start or where to go once I do start . Any help on a starting point or base code diagram would be very helpful.

Thanks again and apologies if this is in the wrong place.

This is not the wrong place to find help, but it is very unlikely that someone will give you a ready made solution (but of course you can find many pro programmers who will do it for you - for money 🙂 ).

If you accept my advice, I would proceed this way:

1. start to learn LabView basics, there are many free and non-free sources (if you have licence, even student licence you can access the online teaching videos, search for "self-paced LabView learning). If you want to write a simple VI in LabView, this can help a lot.
  2. At least show us some pseudo code, some effort about what you need to program, and what you want to plot. Then we can give advice about how we would do it in LabView

Edit:

point 3: I would also do some massive google searching, you may find useful info:

http://www.abcm.org.br/pt/wp-content/anais/cobem/2009/pdf/COB09-0147.pdf

http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~fajans/Teaching/cartoons/

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~fajans/Teaching/cartoons/Chaos/Chaos.llb

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,401 Views)

If you happen to have the LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation Module, we do have an example for it:

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\examples\Control and Simulation\Case Studies\Mathematics\Logistic map\logistic map bifurcations.vi

I tries to solve the logistic map with a nonlinear parameter, a. And the map is:

y(n+1) = a y(n) (1- y(n))

The nonlinearity parameter can take on values between 0 an 4. The map has an attracting, periodic orbit for any value of the nonlinarity parameter. The attractor can be plotted by letting the map run, for 1000 iterations, then protting the previous 10 points. Then by following the course and plot the attractor for various values of the nonlinearity parameter.

and the graph looks like this:

Bifurcation Map.JPG

This graph is created using a X-Y graph and we accumulate the a[x] and and a[k-1] for every iteration. Here is the code:

Bifurcation Map Diagram.JPG

Barp - Control, Simulation, RTT and HIL - National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,238 Views)