LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

berkely nucleonics 577

Here is something I have also found that might be of some use, Im not sure how to set this up or if i even need to use this (which I think i do)

VI_Tree.png

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,699 Views)

So i've gotten the initilize function to run, when i restarted the computer it recognised COM4, the problem is now that I cannot get VISA read to work, it might have to do with the value of 100??
READ.png

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,692 Views)
LabVIEW will use whatever com ports are listed in MAX. If you plug it in and a new com port is not created, there is a problem with the driver.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,686 Views)
Sorry, did not see your latest posts.

100 is the number of bytes to read. If you don't read anything, you could be using the wrong type of serial cable, have a mismatch with the com settings (basic rate, parity, etc.), or a mismatch with the termination character.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(1,679 Views)

Is there a way to check on any of these conditions that might be causing this problem? (for example would the manual for my pulse generator say "use basic rate of ____ ")

Also I'd like to thank you and every one who has helped me so far, coding and electrical work is not my area of expertise

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,638 Views)

Hi, 

Yes, the device manual will list what these settings should be. I think I found the manual for your device here: http://www.berkeleynucleonics.com/resources/577_Manual.pdf , it looks like page 19 lists the serial port parameters.

I couldn't see the full error code in your screenshot, but it looks like it may have been -1073807339, in which case this KB talks about possible reasons for that occuring: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/874B379E24C0A0D686256FCF007A6EA0?OpenDocument . If it was a different error code I suggest you look that up (google or ni.com) as it will help you troubleshoot the specific cause of the error you are seeing.

Another thing I would suggest is to just see if you are able to communicate with the device in NI Max using the VISA interactive control, this way you can narrow down if the problem is with your LabVIEW code or with the connection between the device and the computer itself. To get to the VISA Interactive Control, open NI  MAX, Tools -> NI-VISA -> VISA Interactive Control. Here you can configure the serial port settings as well as test I/O by sending basic commands. 

Hope this helps!

Selene
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,617 Views)

Hello, and sorry for any delay in response. I have also been emailing the producer of the pulse generator asking for help, and after a bit of back and forth emailing, I have learned that the example program I have been running is not expected to work for me and they told me to just continue and make a new VI for my experiment.

I ask, is there any advice or help you can give me for my task (explained in one of the earliest posts), as I have no clue where to begin construction of this VI.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(1,535 Views)

Hi,

Did they say the driver won't work with that device or just the example program? If the driver still works there should be some VIs in there you can use to perform the basic functions you need. I would look through the LabVIEW examples for something similar to what you're trying to do, possibly in our IVI drivers section, and then replicate this code as much as possible. 

Selene
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(1,514 Views)