From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

barcode with normal text

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

In my application, I want to generate a barcode and print as well as write normal text below it.

I tried doing it, but my vi converts everything to bar code. I want the 'part number, revision, vender code, date string, and serial number' to be printed in plain text below my barcode.

My vi also gives me some unknown error at the end does not actually print it.

I am attaching my vi, barcode font with a sample.

I am using LABVIEW 2009.

Please help!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,239 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rk_t

hi rk_t,

The "3 of 9" font does encode numbers and capital LETTERS but does not encode  small letters:

Clipboard01.png

Clipboard02.png

Nevertheless, I rather use various fonts to creat an image before printing:

2015-09-14_barcodes-linear_font.png

You might also be interested in this libraray which is written in plain LabView: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-14718

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,201 Views)

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your response.

I have implemented your VI. But it does not show me the barcode. Rest everything is working fine.

I also tried installing the font again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,155 Views)

Alex,

Got it, I changed a few settings.

The image is a bit blur.. Is there any way to improve it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,152 Views)

could you show us an exsample of "a bit blur"?

Did you use the Zoom Property?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,125 Views)

@alexderjuengere wrote:

hi rk_t,

The "3 of 9" font does encode numbers and capital LETTERS but does not encode  small letters:

Because Code 39 does not support lower case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_39

Code 39 (also known as Alpha39, Code 3 of 9, Code 3/9, Type 39, USS Code 39, or USD-3) is a variable length, discrete barcode symbology.

The Code 39 specification defines 43 characters, consisting of uppercase letters (A through Z), numeric digits (0 through 9) and a number of special characters (-, ., $, /, +, %, and space).

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,111 Views)

Hello,

I am using the above technique posted by Alex to create an Image of barcode and printing. Initially I thought for 3 0f 9 font, the image is blurry.

But right now I am using pdf417 and calibiri font for normal text. 

The Image generated in the vi is very clear but print out comes blurry.photograph of the print out is in the zip. barcode and text below it is blurry where as if I print something from word, it is very clear. The image shows both.

I am also attaching the vi which I am using.

It needs a dll which come with an exe. I am attaching both. Its safe to install this exe. I have downloaded from NI Forums only.

Any help regarding improving the print quality is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rohan

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,903 Views)

Ok.  I took the solution provided and modified slightly for my own application, but it will not print the concatenated string.  I tried changing the report type (when html is selected, the headers and footers do print, but concatenated string still does not).  any thoughts?  I have tried Free 3 of 9 and Code 128, both of which are supported on my printer and listed in the barcode fonts section of the printer properties.  the concatenated string always displays correctly... it just will not print

print sub-location label.png

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,758 Views)

figured it out.  I guess the default margin size is set to 1" - despite the settings on the printer.  I had to drop in Set Report Margins.vi to get it to print correctly... however, it is printing a box around the barcode image... anyone know how to make that go away? 

Or... is there a better way of doing this?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,719 Views)