LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatically making current values default in an exe

Hi,

an old but evergreen topic once again. We all know that there is no simple "Make current value to default" option anymore if we built an exe. Nevertheless in many cases there is a need to have exactly such an option. The common advice is to work with an ini file and write all current values of all controls into that file. By starting the exe, the ini file must be read first and the values must be written to property nodes of the controls.

This strategy works well for small applications with few controls. But what if there are some ten, twenty or even more controls of various types? The necessary code gets easily very bulky and difficult to adapt if changes in the controls become necessary.

Is there any universal vi around which collects automatically the values of all controls regardless to the type of control, writes it to a file, loads that file again at start of program and sets the controls to their initial value?

Regards,
Peter
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,118 Views)
Yes. See this recent post and information on OpenG.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,108 Views)
Hello Peter,

I've made an simple example just to help with that. But I'm using the xml format. see if this helps.
Software developer
www.mcm-electronics.com

PORTUGAL
Message 3 of 14
(3,105 Views)

Dennis,

could you, please, give a link to the particular OpenG package you are referring to? Unfortunately, http://forums.openg.org/ is not self-explaining at all. Where can I get the packages from?

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,082 Views)
The link I gave you was to a post by Jim Kring and you should have clicked on the VI Package Manager. I don't remember exactly which package has the tools but I think it's the file one.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,075 Views)

@stoeckel wrote:

could you, please, give a link to the particular OpenG package you are referring to? Unfortunately, http://forums.openg.org/ is not self-explaining at all. Where can I get the packages from?

Peter,

The library (package) that you are interested in is the OpenG Variant Configuration File VIs (oglib_variantconfig package), shown in the screenshot below.

For a quick intro on what you need to do, in order to get OpenG VIs into your LabVIEW palettes, please read and follow the directions in this FAQ.

Thank you,

-Jim

Message Edited by Jim Kring on 02-15-2007 09:50 AM

Message 6 of 14
(3,070 Views)

Jim,

thanks a lot for your big effort. I followed the directions given in the FAQ you are pointing to. However, I couldn't get the vi package manager connected to the internet yet though I tried all obvious things like switching off the firewall and playing around with the internet options. Why isn't there a simple download for the Open G packages? It would make things much easier. I don't have any idea how to get these packages if the internet connection of the manager doesn't work.

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,049 Views)
Peter,

> thanks a lot for your big effort. I followed the directions given in the FAQ you are pointing to. However, I couldn't get the vi package manager connected to the internet yet though I tried all obvious things like switching off the firewall and playing around with the internet options.

I'm sorry that you're having trouble downloading packages.  Are you behind a corporate proxy server or firewall?  VIPM does support some proxy servers (settings are in the Internet tab of the Options dialog) but it does not support certain authentication schemes of Windows Proxy Servers.

> Why isn't there a simple download for the Open G packages? It would make things much easier. I don't have any idea how to get these packages if the internet connection of the manager doesn't work.

Well, VIPM is supposed to be the "simple download".  The alternatives are much less easy.  There are so many different packages, that creating a single download file would be very time-consuming for the OpenG developers.  That said, you can download the package files individually from the OpenG Toolkit project page at SourceForge.net.  However, it would be great if we could figure out why your VIPM installation cannot connect to the Internet.  Can you look to see if there is an error message in the error logs folder ( C:\Program Files\JKI\VI Package Manager\error\ )?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,044 Views)

Jorge,

thanks for your comment. Could you, please, save the example for LabVIEW 8.0 instead of 8.2? I've not yet found the opportunity to upgrade and cannot open your example.

Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,020 Views)
HI again,

In attach follows one version in Labview 8.0.

I sugest that when posting a question, always say what's your labview version.

Software developer
www.mcm-electronics.com

PORTUGAL
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,001 Views)