LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto advance tabbing

Solved!
Go to solution

entering data on front panel, would like to press the enter key on the keyboard and have the vi automatically advance to the next control i have set in my tabbing order.   any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,214 Views)

Use an event structure with the 'key down' event to catch the enter key being pressed. You can increment the current value (tab) and write it back to the tab control (e.g. using property nodes/local variable). You might need to handle wrapping around if you go past the maximum number of tabs it goes back to the first tab.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,206 Views)

A better option is to use the Key Down? event and use the right hand terminals to change Enter to a tab (ASCII 9).

(3,187 Views)

Sometimes when I make a UI like you describe it will be a wizard like UI.  In this there is a button for Previous, and a button for Next which increment and decrement the tab value.  In this situation I just setup the Next button to have a key binding of Return to change the value.  This then works like the user clicked in, and the code for pressing the button with the mouse is the same code called when pressing Enter.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,165 Views)

is this available for downloading to me?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,161 Views)

What part was unclear?  Using an event structure?  Programatically changing tabs?  Or Key binding so a key press toggles a button?  All are easily researchable with example on NI.com and on the Example Finder for others.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,153 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kevinkk

something new to me, will give it a try

thanks for the information.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,151 Views)

Apologies - I thought you were talking about advancing through tabs in a tab control, not advancing through controls.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,120 Views)