LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assistance with setting up labview hardware

We are trying to connect a NI cRIO-9025 controller to our desktop computer. When we open MAX, it recognizes the controller, but we are unable to install LabVIEW Real Time on the controller. I have attached screenshots of our MAX program setup. Any thoughts?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,383 Views)

The problem is the inconsistent IP settings. Try going through the steps for resetting the IP and then reconfigure it as needed. Once the networking issue is sorted out you can load the software onto it.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,365 Views)

When you can find your controller in MAX but you get an error during software installation, it is almost always related to a subnet mismatch between your target and controller ethernet ports. I would check the console output of the controller to check the IP configuration.

Since you appear to be connecting link local with your desktop system, you may want to test the IP reset on the controller as well. Enabling the IP reset on the controller will set the ethernet port to attempt an automatic assignment from a DHCP service on the network when the system restarts. If it cannot be assigned an address (and it should not if you are connecting directly to your target and have no router) it will default to a link local 169.254.x.x address, which, is what we want!

Here is a couple of related documentation that I think you will find useful for troubleshooting connection problems with CompactRIO's.

Troubleshooting CompactRIO Controllers in Measurement & Automation Explorer

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/6537/en

*the "Resetting the Controller to an Un-configured state" section discusses the IP reset process.

Troubleshoot When NI CompactRIO Does Not Appear in MAX

http://www.ni.com/gettingstarted/setuphardware/compactrio/troubleshootmax.htm

Good luck!

Tim A.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,344 Views)

Ok thanks guys. We now have the IP settings fixed and the software is installed on the controller. Now, we are trying to get the controller to be recognized by LabVIEW. When we open up DAQ Assistant in LabVIEW, the controller is not recognized under any of the "Aquire Signals" options. The measurement device we have hooked up to the controller is a liquid level sensor, which sends an analog current signal. Thoughts??

Thanks,

Daryn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,276 Views)

DAQmx programming is not supported on cRIO VxWorks operating systems.

If you want to perform Analog Measurements with your device you have a couple options.

1. Set up your device for Scan Mode Acquisition.

Scan Mode will deploy an FPGA bitfile to your chassis and handle the I/O between your modules and your Real-Time controller for you. It automatically detects what modules you have installed and sets up the I/O for you. There are some limitations (speed, custom FPGA logic) but its the simplest way to get your system up and running. Chapter 2 in the cRIO Developers Guide discusses Scan Mode in a bit more detail. There is a wealth of other information in KB's and White Papers online as well for Scan Mode.

2. Write the FPGA code to read the values from your Analog Hardware.

Using the LabVIEW FPGA module you can write custom code to read from your modules and decide what you want to send back to your controller. I would review the cRIO Developers Guide (section 5 for customizing hardware) for more information. I find the easiest way to begin developing FPGA for a specific module is to use the built in LabVIEW examples. When you install the FPGA module, there are examples included for most every C-Series Module (just search the LabVIEW help by the module number). That's a really easy way to get started.

CompactRIO Developers Guide

http://www.ni.com/compactriodevguide/

Tim A.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,266 Views)