LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

approach to syncronise data between 2+ VIs

UDE = User-Defined Events, Tim might be Crossrulz's first name (I, myself, am unsure of Crossrulz' non-Forum identity).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(1,392 Views)

Bob_Schor wrote: Tim might be Crossrulz's first name (I, myself, am unsure of Crossrulz' non-Forum identity).

It's not much of a secret: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-26476

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(1,356 Views)

Vasilich2004 wrote:

So if you would add next VI then you will must update all VIs! It means you try to support MxM matrix!!! Good luck 😉

Which is exactly why I would use User Events.  When you make a new VI, it just registers for the User Event and then everybody gets the event.  To make it really safe, add in an element to the cluster for the event to say who sent it.  That way a VI can just get the event but do nothing if the sender of the event was itself.  Then you just need 1 event for everybody.  No need for a matrix.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(1,353 Views)

I made way which uses Event per Device. Disadvantages:

- if dialog uses one control out of N controls it will be fired Event in M dialogs

- any change in Device will require changes in each M dialogs

- I don't know how easy to avoid firing event in dialog which send the Event.

If I would use Event per Device control then I will need to take care about a lot of Events ...

I don't think that looks well ...

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(1,299 Views)

@Vasilich2004 wrote:

I made way which uses Event per Device. Disadvantages:

- if dialog uses one control out of N controls it will be fired Event in M dialogs  So?  You want those other M-1 dialogs to update that value, right?  As far as recieving other controls, not a big deal,  You just have the default case do nothing and the event structure will be done super fast.  We are dealing with GUIs here.  They do no need to be fast.

- any change in Device will require changes in each M dialogs  Don't you already have this problem?  SubVIs can help A LOT here or you can just have seperate modules also recieve these events and do whatever communications is required with the device.  So all of your device control should be in one location.

- I don't know how easy to avoid firing event in dialog which send the Event.   Again.  GUIs are slow.  Not a big deal.  If you follow the advice from the second bullet, really not a big deal.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(1,284 Views)

Dialogs don't use all parameters. For example, if Device dialog has 10 parameters and each of 10 dialogs uses 1 parameter which are different then

- there are 10 times more event processing

- I don't see how to make single SubVI. It looks SubVI should have output per parameter but Device dialog could have 10-20-30 parameters.

By the way, UI is slow but it could use a method where a loop, for example, can change stepper motor position once per 20 mc. Of course, it is possible to "disable" event but it will bring additional complicity ...

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(1,262 Views)

Hi!

I created more realistic exampe (see attachment). Is it possible to have simpler system?

Thanks, Andrey.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(1,158 Views)

When I started to apply the Event approach in my program I met couple issues and made changes. Now system has Device with 3 parameters Double, DoubleRb, Integer) and 2 Dialogs which controls subscribe to parameter events.

There are 2 issues

1. as I wrotre before if parameter name (Double, DoubleRb, Integer) would be cnanged then all subscribers must be changed. 

2. all dynamic events have the same name "<Event>:User Event" in Event structure.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(1,107 Views)

Vasilich2004,

What do you mean by subscribers? Could you ellaborate more on the 2 issues you are having? Are you getting errors? Is it not functioning as expected? If not, how?

For more information on dynamically registering for events see this resource: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361K-01/lvhowto/dynamic_register_event/

Also some general suggestions:

1. If you comment your code, it will be easier for the community to follow and understand what you are trying to do.

2. Placing your files in a LabVIEW project can really help with organization of your files (http://www.ni.com/white-paper/7197/en/)

Hope this helps!

Becca B.
Product Marketing
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(1,066 Views)