From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

app to handle multiple LV versions from Windows

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello!

I just cannot find a reference to an application which can help to interact (launch, etc...) with LV versions if we have multiple ones are installed on the same PC. I remember, I have seen a forum post not long time ago, where someone mentioned he has something like this. It is always annoying when I want to open a VI from disk, to choose which version should open it, etc...

Thanks for the info! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,191 Views)

Does this help?

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,179 Views)

Thanks, but I clearly remember it was a very recent post 🙂 And for sure someone from the most active members (crossrulz, Altenbach, etc.) mentioned a kind of application to control LabVIEW versions from the taskbar, and as I remember, even gave a link to download it...

I just cannot find that post again, even after massive search and googling 😄

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,154 Views)

Patient:"Dr. Dr. It hurts when I do this <Opening LabVIEW objects without a specific CONTEXT>"

Dr: "Don't do that"

Open the context first then the open the object from the context.  the Getting Started windows are wonderful tools

The "Recient files" and "Recient projects" are valuable tools (Yes I change the default number of entries in those from 5 to "many"

Opening a vi from the project explorer window is reall the best way since you might want the project to know about callers it needs to update. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,144 Views)

Agree 😄 I would find this kind of tool useful, when I try to help someone in the forum, and I want to quickly open a VI from the website, and I want to open it with LV2014 and not with 2015 version. Just one example 🙂

Actually the real reason is that, i clearly remember that I have seen a few days (?) ago a forum post, where someone from the "power users" mentioned a little application which he made (?) to handle LV versions from Windows taskbar. And since I cannot find this particular post, it drives me mad 😄 Or this post was just a dream?? 😄

edit: I tried for example the following: I open the start window of LabVIEW 2014. I tried to drag&drop the VI file from Firefox to automatically open it with LV. It does not work. Something like this could be handy...

edit2: of course, I can start LV2014, save the particular VI to disk, and open it from the LV start window... Anyway, as I stated, I wanted to have a look at the abovementioned post (since I cannot remember exactly why it seemed useful to me...), but I cannot find it anymore 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,140 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

Agree 😄 I would find this kind of tool useful, when I try to help someone in the forum, and I want to quickly open a VI from the website, and I want to open it with LV2014 and not with 2015 version. Just one example 🙂

Actually the real reason is that, i clearly remember that I have seen a few days (?) ago a forum post, where someone from the "power users" mentioned a little application which he made (?) to handle LV versions from Windows taskbar. And since I cannot find this particular post, it drives me mad 😄 Or this post was just a dream?? 😄

edit: I tried for example the following: I open the start window of LabVIEW 2014. I tried to drag&drop the VI file from Firefox to automatically open it with LV. It does not work. Something like this could be handy...

edit2: of course, I can start LV2014, save the particular VI to disk, and open it from the LV start window... Anyway, as I stated, I wanted to have a look at the abovementioned post (since I cannot remember exactly why it seemed useful to me...), but I cannot find it anymore 🙂

When I find myself in that situation (And I'm very careful to have active work product backed up before opening potentially corrupt vis) I'll open a blank project in the version I need and drag'n' drop it into the Proj Explorer first.

BTW: This is one of the reasons I also prefer that snippets are used vs attached vi's

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 6 of 9
(3,123 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blokk

Just for the reference, and close this post, I just found by luck the link for this application which i remembered to see some time ago :))

https://lavag.org/topic/11333-labview-tray-launcher/

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,947 Views)

Glad you were eventually able to find my tool.  For me there were times when I would have multiple versions of LabVIEW installed, and open and running.  And then I'd open a VI someone posted on the forums.  If I were to edit their VI and post it back I'd want it to be in that version of LabVIEW.  I'd also not want it to tell me it can't open it in the version of LabVIEW it was trying.  So this tool will show you the versions that a VI can be opened with, and allow you to pick the one you want which might, or might not be running.  It isn't perfect but I've been using it off and on for a few years making improvements whenever I get time.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,924 Views)

Thanks, here at home I have only a LV2014 Home Edition, but at my workplace I will test it where I have multiple versions on one PC, up to 2015.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,915 Views)