LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another Unicode question: Does anyone know if Unicode is supported the same way in LV 2014 as in LV 2009?

The company I am working for is having thoughts about eventually migrating all software to LV 2014 and I'd like to know if the Unicode properties and methods will survive an upgrade to LV 2014 from 2009.

As always... THANKS, EVERYONE!!!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,192 Views)

I haven't played with Unicode much in LabVIEW at all, but one thing about 2014 would make me weary! LabVIEW 64 bit for MacOS X uses now Unicode strings as default string format. So they certainly made substantial changes to parts of the LabVIEW code dealing with Strings. I would expect that a large part of the changes are hidden behind a pre processor define that only gets active when compiling for Mac OS X 64 bit (Cocoa) but since Unicode support in other platforms was never released there is a good chance that some of the improvements made it into the standard LabVIEW code that gets enabled with the undocumented INI key.

So chances are pretty big that there will be changes on other LabVIEW platforms when using Unicode features that only are available using the INI key setting, since NI is unlikely to have done many unit tests on the unreleased Unicode feature.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,176 Views)

That's... a little scary...

Guess we'll throw the code in the water and see if it sinks or swims... CDs due to arrive any moment.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,158 Views)