LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

annoying indicator blink

@mullenr wrote:

Ahh, should have looked more into this before. I checked the text indicator's property to 'Limit to a Single Line'. This took care of the flicker in my program and in the test case provided. (And also may explain why no one else could see the problem?) Doesn't explain exactly what's happening though.

Maybe the somewhat rude NI guy could explain what's happening. (I almost always use the abort button when doing short tests...) Though, fixed for my purposes!

Don't use the abort button.  No resources are relased if you do that.  i,e,. no com ports are released, no references closed, etc.  On a related note, the stop sign does the exact same thing as pressing the abort button.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 23
(659 Views)

billko wrote:

------------------------------

Don't use the abort button.  No resources are relased if you do that.  i,e,. no com ports are released, no references closed, etc.  On a related note, the stop sign does the exact same thing as pressing the abort button.

Thanks for the additional information about the abort button! I wasn't sure of the best way to stop a running program even in a production release. Though I do use the exit vi in a released application and COM ports and files I close before exiting. Not sure though what other resources need to be specifically taken care of? I can research this more on my own since you pointed out the issues with using the abort button.

I've been running more tests with the flickering issue, and it seems that checking the 'Limit to a Single Line' doesn't entirely take care of the issue. My more cluttered displays still show the flickering. I have a number of computers and this has been happening on all of them, for quite some time. Some customers have mentioned it, and though they are satisfied with the overall program, I wouldn't mind finding out the entirety of the issue. It is interesting that the same string indicator, when copied, produces a flickering readout on just one of the indicators. And which one is flickering can be switched by re-routing the wire from the formatting vi. Please note, I do use Labview 8.5 for most of my programs. Have to, sorry for that. Though this happened on 2013 as well.

-Rich

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 23
(640 Views)

@mullenr wrote:

@billko wrote:

Thanks for the additional information about the abort button! I wasn't sure of the best way to stop a running program even in a production release. Though I do use the exit vi in a released application and COM ports and files I close before exiting. Not sure though what other resources need to be specifically taken care of? I can research this more on my own since you pointed out the issues with using the abort button.

I've been running more tests with the flickering issue, and it seems that checking the 'Limit to a Single Line' doesn't entirely take care of the issue. My more cluttered displays still show the flickering. I have a number of computers and this has been happening on all of them, for quite some time. Some customers have mentioned it, and though they are satisfied with the overall program, I wouldn't mind finding out the entirety of the issue. It is interesting that the same string indicator, when copied, produces a flickering readout on just one of the indicators. And which one is flickering can be switched by re-routing the wire from the formatting vi. Please note, I do use Labview 8.5 for most of my programs. Have to, sorry for that. Though this happened on 2013 as well.

-Rich

Drat.  I was hoping that would do it.  I guess we still have some sleuthing to do.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 23
(626 Views)