LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

align multiple charts y scales

Charts.jpg

As you can see in the above picture, I am using multiple charts to display a number of different data streams.  Each chart often contains multiple data streams in the 'Overlay plots' configuration as you can see in the first display at the top.

I am incredibly annoyed by the inconsistent positioning of the y-scale labels.  I must have "Auto Adjust Scales" on each chart OFF otherwise the left sides do not line up.  I want "Loose Fit"  on each chart ON as I often have "Auto Scale" for the Y scales ON and I want the labels to stay approximately near the left edge.  Thus, it is somewhat understandable that the labels would not line up left-to-right as the size of the number on the scale changes (Though I would rather pin the label to the far left size of the chart than have it constantly jumping around!)

However, why are the labels ALSO not centered top-to-bottom on a given chart?  (See, for example, the fourth chart down.)  I used property nodes to check the properties of the name labels for the y scale and the Justification and Vertical Arrangement properties are the same for all charts.  I tried setting the position of the entire scale programmatically (again with property nodes) but that caused major issues when the Loose Fit and Auto Scale activities overrode those settings and again moved things around.

Is there any way to use "Loose Fit" and "Auto Adjust (Y-Scale)" with "Auto Adjust Scales" OFF and keep the Y Name Labels in ONE place?

P.S. The answer is not to use one chart with the stacked plots option, which is incredibly buggy and difficult to adjust while the program is running.  For proof, read this post: http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=427644 where I have also expressed my frustration at the continued bugginess of charts.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,707 Views)
I would like to know how you can do this, because it is similiar problem with graphs. I do use stack  charts. I found that once you set it up, it works okay (static number of items on the chart).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,694 Views)
I would also like to see a real solution to this.  In the meantime, I often bag the labels, create my own free labels and group them with the chart/graph.  An effective, yet annoying, kluge.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,682 Views)

Hello,

Have you tried playing around with the minimum field width option in the graph properties? With this, you can pad with spaces on the left or right of the axis values. Normally, this is what causes the labels to be repositioned. Also, by using a variable width font, the spacing changes by which characters you currently have displayed. Changing to a fixed width font may also help.

-Zach

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,668 Views)
I tried that with ealier verrsions of Labview with no success. Those items you mention does not allow you the refinement or control that is needed. Other factors change the width regardless of the settings.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,661 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for you feedback regarding this issue. I'm sorry that my suggestions did not prove to be useful. My other suggestion would have been to create the free labels as you have already done. Have you filled out a product suggestion here in order to provide feedback on this feature?

-Zach

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,641 Views)

Adam,

I had a similar problem with y-scale labels. I don't know if you've found a solution, but I found a way to center the labels vertically, however, I'm still working on the horizontal positioning. I've attached a screen shot of the code I'm using, but to use it with yours you will need to slightly modify it. The attached code assumes the chart to be fit to its pane so the position of the control is at the pane origin. You'll just need to get the position of the control in the pane and add that offset (in the vertical dir) to the values I'm calculating in the first for loop. Hope this helps!

-rw

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,392 Views)

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm trying to align and fix Y axis with difficulty! 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,221 Views)

Which version of LabVIEW are you using? Is this still happening in the 2016 version?

Chase
NI Technical Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,191 Views)