LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ag8453

I am attempting to control an agilent 8453 uv/vis spectrophotometer via LabVIEW.  I am using labVIEW 2013, and the driver available here.  I installed NI VISA 5.4.  When I attempt to run the AG8453 SimpleMeasurementExample.vi I get a VISA error:

%%%%%

Error -1073807202 occurred at VISA Open in AG8453 Initialize.vi->AG8453 Simple Measurement Example.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: (Hex 0xBFFF009E) VISA or a code library required by VISA could not be located or loaded. This is usually due to a required driver not being installed on the system.  VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF009E) A code library required by VISA could not be located or loaded.

%%%%%

I have confirmed that VISA is installed (via NI MAX) and that there are no errors in MAX.

I am running Windows 7, an intel core 2 duo.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,181 Views)
What sort of physical connection? Can you open the VISA test panel in MAX?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,177 Views)

RS-232.  COM1.  I can open the test panel in MAX.   I can write the string *IDN?\n

no problem.  But a read or query times out with the error

Read Operation
Error

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,174 Views)
The timeout could be caused by a mismatch in com settings, the instrument not set to serial mode, or the wrong type of cable. I don't know why you would get a VISA error in LabVIEW but not in MAX.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,170 Views)

If you're not using certified labview VIs, check the following: Instrument time out, data flow type, baud rate (very important) and connection type setting. These all can be set from intrument property node.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,151 Views)

Thanks - I see how those values can be set in MAX however I have no information about what they should be for the ag8453.  The user manual doesn't give me this information, nor does the driver download page from NI.  What should these COM settings be?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,119 Views)

you can download the certified VIs from driver finder under help in labview. Then what I would do, I would look at their initialize and config VIs. There are tons of things you can learn from it. But most likely you will imitate their method to build your own VI which is more helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,114 Views)
They should be whatever the instrument is set to. See if there is a configuration screen. You need to find a programming manual. The manual is confusing in that it says you can control it with the serial port but in the next sentence, it says only gpib and lan are supported.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,112 Views)
The certified driver you already downloaded only supports gpib and lan. If the programming manual truly states that you can use serial, then the driver would need to be modified. That would not be the cause of the missing library error though. You didn't also install agilent VISA did you?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,109 Views)

I did not install agilent VISA.  This document  gives details on GPIB configuration and mentions rs-232 but does not specify how to configure.  I currently do not have a GPIB card on this machine.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,099 Views)