LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adodb._connection

Not sure where to post this. Hopefully someone can help.

I have a series of vis that use the ADODB._connection invoke nodes. These use activex to communicate with data sources on the computer. These work most of the time. I have been using these for 10 years. But recently the programs have started randomly hanging. I tracked the problem down to the ADODB._connection invoke nodes. They just sometimes hang for some seconds then start working again. They don't pass an error and they don't do it every time. Just randomly sometimes the programs will hang on the adodb._connection for 10-20 seconds then start working again.

It is very strange. I don't know how to trouble shoot this since it gives no error and doesn't occur consistently. We were using the LabSQL package. This is not an official labview package and was written for an older version of labview. I thought perhaps some update made it incompatible so we remade our vis with the labview connectivity package. These actually use the same adodb._connection invoke nodes at the heart of the program and the new programs do the same thing. We thought maybe it was a windows problem and reinstalled windows but the problem is still occuring. 

Has anyone had this? I am at a loss about what to do next. We are considering maybe it is a hardware problem and checking our ram. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,304 Views)

I have been using these calls for many years and have never seen this problem, which makes me wonder if it's a connectivity issue. What DBMS are you accessing? what does your connection string look like?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,276 Views)

In addition to what Mike said, does this happen with any property or method node that operates on the ADO connection or only specific ones?

My ggut feeling would point at an issue with a specific ADO/ODBC driver you are using here. So yes what DBMS are you using and what driver?

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,260 Views)

Hi Mike:

I have some problem working with db in labview and i found that the problem is in "adodb._connection" in the vi call db Tool Create Parameterized Query.vi but i can foind the root of it.

I am running the vi in windows 10 and labview 2015, i am using a microsoft jet 4.0 ole db  provider for UDL

My project are trying to connect to a acccess DB with labview using db Tool Create Parameterized Query.vi but the program throw me this:

ADODB.Command: Requested operation requires an OLE DB Session object, which is not supported by the current provider.Help Path is C:\WINDOWS\HELP\ADO270.CHM and context 1240658 in NI_Database_API.lvlib:DB Tools Create Parameterized Query.vi->NI_Database_API.lvlib:DB Tools Update Data.vi->Automatico.vi

This error code is undefined. Undefined errors might occur for a number of reasons. For example, no one has provided a description for the code, or you might have wired a number that is not an error code to the error code input.

Additionally, undefined error codes might occur because the error relates to a third-party object, such as the operating system or ActiveX. For these third-party errors, you might be able to obtain a description of the error by searching the Web for the error code (-2146824579) or for its hexadecimal representation (0x800A0E7D).

Thanks in advanced

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,568 Views)

Are you using LabVIEW 64 bit? I'm not sure Microsoft has released an MS Access driver for 64-bit operation. But the driver needs to match the bitness of the application that wants to use it.

If you are using 32-bit LabVIEW, make sure you use the 32-bit ODBC Manager (c:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe) to configure your driver. The ODBC manager that starts from the control panel will be 64-bit on a 64-bit Windows system and only can be used to configure 64 bit drivers successfully.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,559 Views)

Hi. I am using 32bit labview, and i am using a microsoft jet 4.0 ole db  provider for UDL.

How can i know it?? -> make sure you use the 32-bit ODBC Manager (c:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe) to configure your driver

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,553 Views)

You have to go in explorer to this path and double click the executable!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,546 Views)

Hi look like i am using it, when i run this file i got the imagen that i attached. Looks like is another thing cuz I can work with database function, but i can not work with the advanced database library only.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,541 Views)

Hi. 

I heard that it cuold be work if i change the ole db provider but which is better for my case.I am working with acces 2016 in windows 64 and 32 bits labview.

I am using the ole db jet, but looks like the error is for the provider

It is my first time in database and i read several manual for i dont find any about the issue 😞  

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,528 Views)