cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add arrow symbol ↑↓ to boolean text

Solved!
Go to solution

hello,

I try to add an up/down arrow (these symbols: ↑↓) to a boolean text (the text on a boolean input button).

However, LV only adds ?? to the text.

I assume that the current font cannot display the symbol. It is the application font, which I further assume is some default font.

But even if I select the ?? and change the font to Arial, it remains ??.

Creating a new button, selecting it, changing the font to Arial and pasting the two characters also results in ??.

How do I add those characters?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,422 Views)

It worked for me. Attached is a Boolean with the arrow symbols added to its text.

Thanks,

Priyadarsini S

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,418 Views)

Hello Max,

Instead of putting this symbols ↑↓ as a Boolean button text, simply customize the button with this symbol image.

Find this ↑↓ kind of transparent image from Internet and simply put it on button with help of "Customise" option and make that image as decal for better GUI performance.

No need to do such kind of things which your looking for.

Vinal Gandhi, CLA
Message 3 of 9
(6,403 Views)

hello Priyardarsini,

thank you for your effort of providing an example.

If I open your file in Labview (2013) the text on the button looks like this:

OK‘!“!

There's definetly something wrong here.

I'm not an expert when it comes to character encoding, so I'm not sure what additional information is required to solve the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,401 Views)

Ok, you can either import an image or choose 'Wingdings 3' font and type 'E' (Capital E). That should give you the arrow symbols.

Thanks,

Priyadarsini S

Message 5 of 9
(6,393 Views)

thank you both for the suggestion of using an image, but this seems to be a rather cumbersome solution.

I have to admit that I didn't explain my goal clearly.

I want to append either of the two arrow symbols to an already existing text.

When I change the font to Wingdings 3, all the text changes, even if I only select part of the text.

In the end there should be 4 buttons, 2 with ↑ and 2 with ↓ at the end.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,382 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,370 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author max_

Images are a strong way of communication & once you get the knack of it you really will love creating intuitive images for your GUIs.

But if you insist on having text only, you can move down the Boolean Caption & arrange it inline with Boolean text. Now your Caption will have whatever text you want & your Boolean text can have the Wingdings arrow mark, but together they will appear as a single Boolean text.

Thanks,

Priyadarsini S

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,366 Views)

I do like how images communicate things, that's why I want to use an arrow.

But if I use an image file, it's hard to modify and I need to use multiple images etc.

(ab-)Using the caption is the way to go for me. I came to the same conclusion.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,357 Views)