From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

activeX controller for Thorlabs MG17 motor not appearing

Hello,

I have a VI including an activeX controller for a Thorlabs MG17 rotation stage which was working on my previous PC, but now it is not.

I cannot select the MG17 controller from the activeX controller list when I try to add an activeX object into my container. I've tried moving around .ocx and .dll files from the Thorlabs downloads but to no avail.

I understand that this might be because I am running on Windows 64-bit, instead of 32-bit.

Is there any way to get this to work other than switch back to 32-bit Windows?

Kind regards,

Graham

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(6,885 Views)

@grahamjtriggs wrote:

Hello,

I have a VI including an activeX controller for a Thorlabs MG17 rotation stage which was working on my previous PC, but now it is not.

I cannot select the MG17 controller from the activeX controller list when I try to add an activeX object into my container. I've tried moving around .ocx and .dll files from the Thorlabs downloads but to no avail.

I understand that this might be because I am running on Windows 64-bit, instead of 32-bit.

Is there any way to get this to work other than switch back to 32-bit Windows?

Kind regards,

Graham

I would hope that you installed the Thorlabs software on your new PC instead of merely copying over DLL and OCX files.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,871 Views)

Of course.

I then checked both PCs to see where they had put the files. The old PC has them in Program Files/National Instruments/shared/USI/Bin, however the new PC has them in Program Files/Thorlabs/APT/APT server.

I could try a re-install of the Thorlabs software, but it'd be nice to know if it doesn't work on the 64-bit machine.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,867 Views)

@grahamjtriggs wrote:

it'd be nice to know if it doesn't work on the 64-bit machine.

Best asked of the manufacturer.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,855 Views)

I am having this same problem, and was wondering if you were able to resolve it if you could post how it was resolved. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,652 Views)

Hi,

I am taking a look into this for you. Could you please let me know what software it is that your referencing exactly? i.e. the specific driver download or software download. 

This should help me refine the possible answers for you. 

Regards,

Gavin

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,593 Views)

Hello,

I contacted Thorlabs about the above problem and this was the reply:

"If you have recently upgrade to a 64bit machine or Labview platform then you will need to ensure you have the correct installation of APT installed on your machine to make sure the ActiveX components are visible. Please visit the following page for the versions available, please select the one that suits your setup, it may also be worth removing the other version you have before installing any of these

http://www.thorlabs.us/software_pages/ViewSoftwarePage.cfm?Code=APT"

I haven't had time to try to repair it but hopefully this might help you?

Kind regards,

Graham

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,591 Views)

I figured out this problem. It seems that you have to match the version of Labview and the Type of OS you have for downloading the correct driver. It was that simple. I had originally downloaded the driver for 32bit Labview and 64bit OS, when in fact it was 64bit Labview and 64bit OS.  That is why there are 4 different drivers, it seems to matter.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,544 Views)

As krp15 said, it was 100% confirmed base on my experience.

I used 64-bit OS but 32-bit Labview.

The MG17 ActiveX wasn't activated if you installed 64-bit APT.

After installing 32-bit APT for 64bit OS, everything was going fine.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(6,236 Views)

Thanks a lot for solving the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,693 Views)