LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

access linux through virtual machine on windows 7 PC

Hello, 

I have a Windows 7 computer running Labview 2014.  The computer as Oracle VM Virtualbox installed which is running Fedora 7.  With Oracle already started and Fedora running, here's what I need to do:

1 - Be able to open a terminal window.

2 - Send commands to terminal window.

3 - Receive data from terminal window.

Basically, from Labview running in Windows, I need to run a ping session in the Linux Terminal window and collect the ping results.  I have no idea where to start with this, or if it is even possible.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,017 Views)

Hi robbb81,

I have two possible route ideas:

1. Configure a TCP server/client architecture. The VM could act as the host, and LabVIEW in Windows would act as the client. The host could start a System Exec VI to execute the commands, and relay the information back to the client.
  2. I believe VirtualBox allows you to share a folder with the VM. You could write a shell script for Linux to execute, which could redirect the ping output into a file stored in the shared folder. I’m not sure how you could programmatically force linux to start executing the file of shell commands, but if you can this would be a viable route.

Out of curiosity, why are you trying to do this? This also might be a post applicable for a VirtualBox forum, or even a general linux forum. It touches many applications.

Have a nice day,

Andrew

Andrew T.
"His job is to shed light, and not to master" - Robert Hunter
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,966 Views)

Thanks for the reply Andrew, this may be a bit over my head for now.  

I am writing a test program for testing an inflight entertainment seat back display.  A majority of the testing can be done in Windows using serial communication, but there is some ethernet testing that needs to be performed per the original test specifications which requires the use of Linux (hence the VM).  

An example of one test is to start a ttcp transmitter on the UUT, and a ttcp receiver on the Linux PC (currently ran as script files).  When the test has completed after x number of transfers, we check the transfer rate.  I was hoping to automate these tests instead of having someone start the scripts manually.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,961 Views)

@robbb81 wrote:

Thanks for the reply Andrew, this may be a bit over my head for now.  

I am writing a test program for testing an inflight entertainment seat back display.  A majority of the testing can be done in Windows using serial communication, but there is some ethernet testing that needs to be performed per the original test specifications which requires the use of Linux (hence the VM).  

An example of one test is to start a ttcp transmitter on the UUT, and a ttcp receiver on the Linux PC (currently ran as script files).  When the test has completed after x number of transfers, we check the transfer rate.  I was hoping to automate these tests instead of having someone start the scripts manually.  

Well you can sort of do this if you look in your Windows Network Connection in the Control Panel you will see that Virtual Box has it own "network interface" so it could be possible to set a static IP address to that interface in Linux and connect to it in Windows like a peer to peer network connection.

BUT your transfer rate test will probably give you artificially high throughput readings because you are basically just doing a software loop-back.

Oh forgot to add you could always use LabView to Telnet into the VM and start the scripts to automate this.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,952 Views)

Thanks for the advice!  I'll give it a shot.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,947 Views)