LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

access MS SQL Database from cRIO

Mike, thank you for comments and view, i was thinking along the similar lines, we called it cluster controller. My thoughts were to us the NI SoM as this device as it offers quite a few benifits, although there is no reason why it couldn't be a small indsutrial computer. At the moment we are just going to build one and get the system up and running to prove the concept.

smithd, some excellent suggestions i will take a look at your links.. My thoughts for the mysql database connection was not to push the cRIO data into the database in realtime but have some local memory on the cRIO and periodically push data into the database at arrbitary points. What would consider as a better option push data or pulling the data from a stored procedure in the database? I had intended to try and creat a standard tdms template that all the data would be stored in on the cRio (which contained raw information and appropriate meta data).

Many thanks for the suggestions and comments based on your experience. 

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 23
(727 Views)
The advantage of a small industrial PC is basically convenience and cost. From the hardware aspect, you could get a system configured exactly like you need OTS for avery low cost.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 23
(712 Views)

@tshelleyamrc wrote:

smithd, some excellent suggestions i will take a look at your links.. My thoughts for the mysql database connection was not to push the cRIO data into the database in realtime but have some local memory on the cRIO and periodically push data into the database at arrbitary points. What would consider as a better option push data or pulling the data from a stored procedure in the database? I had intended to try and creat a standard tdms template that all the data would be stored in on the cRio (which contained raw information and appropriate meta data). 

I think what you're thinking of and what I'm describing are the same. Basically the cRIO logs locally and puts the files in some known location. If you look at the vibration logger I believe you'll find code which "rotates" the file -- meaning when it gets to some predefined size like 50 MB it closes that file, renames it to blah.tmds_45 and then opens blah.tdms_46 and starts logging to that file instead. By specifying what your file name is and what folder to pull from, your host (whatever that may be) should be able to pull all the stored files off the controller and put them into the database. Since the cRIO probably doesn't need to read those files, the simplest way would be to have a small program on your host responsible for interfacing with the database.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 23
(687 Views)