LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom in on Block Diagram

Maybe i misunderstood the previous poster, but it's the zoom IN i'm after. 🙂 

For zooming out the navigation windows is enough (and in my case mostly used when opening code at a much lower resolution and some forum stuff)

No harm done, Norbert. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 84
(1,260 Views)

@tedt2 wrote:

The ignorance of the LabView developers is extremely frustrating.

I would abandon LabView, but must use it for external customers.

Sorry but it's not just the NI developers.  I'm glad past requests for a LabVIEW zoom feature have been declined because I don't want the NI developers to waste their time fixing something that's not broken when there are so many other far more important features they could be providing to us.  

Bottom line is that if you need to zoom in the block diagram you're either writing bad code or you need glasses.  Figure out which one it is and fix it.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 84
(1,242 Views)

@NIquist wrote:

@tedt2 wrote:

The ignorance of the LabView developers is extremely frustrating.

I would abandon LabView, but must use it for external customers.

Sorry but it's not just the NI developers.  I'm glad past requests for a LabVIEW zoom feature have been declined because I don't want the NI developers to waste their time fixing something that's not broken when there are so many other far more important features they could be providing to us.  

Bottom line is that if you need to zoom in the block diagram you're either writing bad code or you need glasses.  Figure out which one it is and fix it.

Obviously you've never developed on a laptop where the manufacturer decided to cram far too many pixels into a 15 inch screen and that results in almost "microscopic" wires and icons.  Or on a CRT that had poor color convergence.

In a way, your post is just as insulting as the one you quoted.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 33 of 84
(1,225 Views)

Bill,

i think most of the more experienced LV users posting in this thread agree that a zoom in function would have its use cases. Personally, i wouldn't use it much, but i understand that others really would look into such a feature. NIquist on the other hand is also correct: This is a completely new feature to LV and would require a significant amount of development from NI for incorporation; maybe this amount of work is better put somewhere else (read: would benefit more users compared to a "zoom in").

Also i do share your opinion that his post is equally insulting as tedt2's post, i want to recall: Not all members here are english native speakers. While the text in their mothertongue might be "OK", it could easily result in heavy insults when translated to english 1:1.....

Norbert

PS: Sorry for "drifting"...

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 84
(1,189 Views)

@Norbert_B wrote:

Bill,

i think most of the more experienced LV users posting in this thread agree that a zoom in function would have its use cases. Personally, i wouldn't use it much, but i understand that others really would look into such a feature. NIquist on the other hand is also correct: This is a completely new feature to LV and would require a significant amount of development from NI for incorporation; maybe this amount of work is better put somewhere else (read: would benefit more users compared to a "zoom in").

Also i do share your opinion that his post is equally insulting as tedt2's post, i want to recall: Not all members here are english native speakers. While the text in their mothertongue might be "OK", it could easily result in heavy insults when translated to english 1:1.....

Norbert

PS: Sorry for "drifting"...

Thanks for being a "voice of reason."  I think this subject always gets everyone going.  I would think a zoom function would mean rewriting LabVIEW fom top to bottom.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 84
(1,187 Views)

@billko wrote:

As it was intended.  I'm always polite but rarely politically correct.  If you can't even voice your opinion for fear of offending the overly delicate emotions many people seem to have developed these days what's the point of having an opinion in the first place?  I choose to speak my mind.  The polite part comes when I quietly and sincerely listen to any responses.

TBH, I only hate the idea of a true zoom since that would be a lot of time and effort for the Devs.  If NI can implement a quick, simple upgrade that allows for a coarse incremental zoom (e.g.  x0.5, x2, x4) for the next-gen high-res monitors, laptops & tablets...  That'd Be Great.  Just don't spend massive resources taking care of a small but vocal set of fringe users (many of which are new users expecting features common to other graphics-based software packages that really don't apply to a programming language like LabVIEW).  

EDIT: Sorry for beating this to death and I appreciate the "voice of reason" as well but I really don't see this as any sort of foreign communications issue.  The few other posts by tedt2 indicate a solid command of English and a consistent frustration about visual difficulties.  I somehow doubt he's at all offended by my opinion.  Smiley Wink

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 36 of 84
(1,160 Views)

@NIquist wrote:

@billko wrote:

As it was intended.  I'm always polite but rarely politically correct.  If you can't even voice your opinion for fear of offending the overly delicate emotions many people seem to have developed these days what's the point of having an opinion in the first place?  I choose to speak my mind.  The polite part comes when I quietly and sincerely listen to any responses.

TBH, I only hate the idea of a true zoom since that would be a lot of time and effort for the Devs.  If NI can implement a quick, simple upgrade that allows for a coarse incremental zoom (e.g.  x0.5, x2, x4) for the next-gen high-res monitors, laptops & tablets...  That'd Be Great.  Just don't spend massive resources taking care of a small but vocal set of fringe users (many of which are new users expecting features common to other graphics-based software packages that really don't apply to a programming language like LabVIEW).  

EDIT: Sorry for beating this to death and I appreciate the "voice of reason" as well but I really don't see this as any sort of foreign communications issue.  The few other posts by tedt2 indicate a solid command of English and a consistent frustration about visual difficulties.  I somehow doubt he's at all offended by my opinion.  Smiley Wink

To beat a dead horse even further, I agree that this isn't something that the devs need to be concentrating on.

I would assert that speaking your mind is fine and encouraged, but to evoke thoughtful responses one must direct their passion and emotion towards the topic of discussion and not towards its paticipants.

Something I've learned, but not always been able to apply.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 84
(1,123 Views)

@NIquist wrote:
If NI can implement a quick, simple upgrade that allows for a coarse incremental zoom (e.g.  x0.5, x2, x4) for the next-gen high-res monitors, laptops & tablets...  That'd Be Great.  

Simple integer zoom steps is all i ever wanted, 1..8 (1 being the standard, ofc)
(No, i cant see the use of 8x magnification with todays monitors, but prepare for the future 😉 )
/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 38 of 84
(1,083 Views)

@billko wrote:

I would assert that speaking your mind is fine and encouraged, but to evoke thoughtful responses one must direct their passion and emotion towards the topic of discussion and not towards its paticipants.

Wise words that I will try to keep in mind. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 84
(1,058 Views)

@NIquist wrote:

@billko wrote:

Wise words that I will try to keep in mind. Smiley Happy

I try to keep that in mind, too.  Doesn't always work.  *sigh*

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 84
(1,044 Views)