LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZOOM

I'm a bit disapointed by the answer for the following reasons:

1- as I noticed, no one seems to take note to try to improve the interface

2- the codes are not necessarily mine as I'm reviewing and optimizing many codes that were from legacy.

3- that doesn't address the constant change in resolution (check a diagram on a 24 in screen and see the waste of space).

I understand this interface was developed when people sat at the machine and programmed it but for the price, I would expect a better and more recent interface.

I hope that instead of just answering with excuses, people take note and try some improvements 

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 63
(1,504 Views)

Omegalpha wrote:

I'm a bit disapointed by the answer for the following reasons:

1- as I noticed, no one seems to take note to try to improve the interface

2- the codes are not necessarily mine as I'm reviewing and optimizing many codes that were from legacy.

3- that doesn't address the constant change in resolution (check a diagram on a 24 in screen and see the waste of space).

I understand this interface was developed when people sat at the machine and programmed it but for the price, I would expect a better and more recent interface.

I hope that instead of just answering with excuses, people take note and try some improvements 

You probably want to post this to the Ideas Forum. (search first I bet someone has suggested this already)

That forum is set-up to share ideas and gather feed-back about LabVIEW changes.

This forum is for getting answers from other users (myself and all others with yellow-gold-red type bars under our names) are just voluteers and fellow LV users. So I am not making excuses for NI. I am trying to help YOU.

Smiley Happy

Your brother in wire,

Ben

(NOT NI )

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 63
(1,490 Views)

sorry to say but you didn't and I still don't know how to see the code that was built other than printing it on a big paper.

thanks for the explanation though. and if anyone has a way to do that it'll be appreciated  

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 63
(1,485 Views)

Omegalpha wrote:

sorry to say but you didn't and I still don't know how to see the code that was built other than printing it on a big paper.

thanks for the explanation though. and if anyone has a way to do that it'll be appreciated  

ctrl+Shift+n will open the navigation window.

If the code is a mess (backup first) but try to do a "diagram cleanup".

If the there are lots of  stacked seq structures (shudder) then right click them and choose replace with flat...

THe nightmare that come into our office for a re-write are often atrocious. We did have to resort to getting a local printer to blow it up to wall size.

But usually code that is written badly to begin with has so many other errors that is better to toss all but good sub-Vi and try again.

Still trying to help,

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 63
(1,474 Views)

My video card supports quick resolution keys.  So when I am in that situation, I use the advice below combined with changing the resoultion of my monitor to a larger resolution which is essentially a zoom.  A workaround to be sure, but works just fine.

As for NI R&D, I think there are other features we would like implemented.  But that is just my opinion.

Paul
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 63
(1,458 Views)

WOW!!!

This thread just refuses to die...

And, the reasons for wanting a ZOOM always seem to relate to poorly written code.  A ZOOM feature would only support those who don't now how to write good code in writing even worse code in the future.  That coder who makes you want a 50" display now would instead force you down to the local movie theater for a code review if provided with a zoom function. 

And, as for the connector pattern, have you every heard of a cluster?

I've written some complex subVIs but try to allways use the 4x4 or at most the 5x4 pattern.  Yes, if someone was forced or chooses to use the most compact pattern it can be difficult.  Especially when they have several adjacent connections of the same data type.  But then, that'sback to bad coding again...

For myself, I hope NI does NOT ever provide us with a ZOOM function!

Smiley Happy

LabVIEW 5.0 seems so long ago...
Message 26 of 63
(1,446 Views)

jrjones wrote

And, the reasons for wanting a ZOOM always seem to relate to poorly written code.

Not always. I want zoom so I can conveniently look at code without having to take my eyes out or change the resolution (which has some annoying side effects).

(1,419 Views)

LV needs zoom!!!  When you are creating a schematic for the first time, its far easier to lay everything out til its working first THEN optimize by putting into sub VI's etc...  Why can't NI do this?  Every other piece of S/W out there can...

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 63
(1,046 Views)

@johncf wrote:

LV needs zoom!!!  When you are creating a schematic for the first time, its far easier to lay everything out til its working first THEN optimize by putting into sub VI's etc...  Why can't NI do this?  Every other piece of S/W out there can...

That sounds like you just want a zoom out.  Use the Navigation Window (Ctrl+Shift+N).

Read throught Tst's idea on the zoom (link in one post above yours) and you will get the full background.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 63
(1,036 Views)

thanks for the reply, no i want both.  i need to be able to see the whole schematic to see/understand the overall logic and there are times for instance when i want to connect somethign in the far top left corner with something in the far bottom right corner.  for this i'd like to be able to zoom out and make the connections...  i like to compare this to using CAD you need to be able to see the whole thing (and sometimes make adjustments) to really understand what is going on.  especially the logic flow of a schematic...

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 63
(1,030 Views)