LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xcontrol reacts very slow

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a wierd situation which I never have come across during my development of Xcontrols in LV. 

I have a pretty complex Xcontrol which reacts slow to the user events. BUT When I have the block diagram open, and repeat the same events, it runs fast (normal). As soon as I close the block diagram of the Xcontrol, it goes back to slow motion mode. I tracked the events using Event Inspector and Xcontrol reacts slow to pretty much every event happening inside the Facade. 

Again, it runs fast when I have the block diagram open. Can you let me know if you have come across this issue and possible causes for this? I have done the following so far:

1. Exited LV and reopened my project to exit out of any VI from highlighing the execution

2. Checked usiing the Event Inspector and made sure the events inside the facade is running slow

3. When I have the block diagram of the Xcontrol facade is open, it runs normal. As soon as I close the facade, its back to slow mode.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(5,353 Views)

Additional information is going to be needed to help solve your problem.

Provide the version of LabVIEW that you are using, and if possible, provide a copy of the Xcontrol in question, or a subset of the control that still demonstrates the slowdown.

Machine Vision, Robotics, Embedded Systems, Surveillance

www.movimed.com - Custom Imaging Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(5,348 Views)

LV version is 2013. I wont be able to send a working XControl as it has links to proprietary IP. Sorry about that. I can send you a screen shot of the block diagram if that helps.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(5,344 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Ben

This sounds strange.  Shooting from the hip- make sure the Xcontrol and all its dependancies are mass compiled.

Check the Heirarchy--- is there something crosslinked to an old version of code? 
Check the dynamic calls too!  Its pretty easy to forget to update a ref to a dynamic sub-vi.  causing it to load from old source.

Tripple check all sub-vi call setups -  It sounds like you have a reloader in there (it would explain the speed-up with the BD in memory since that would load the sub-vi regardless of call set-up)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 17
(5,331 Views)

Hi Jeff,

The issue is fixed for now. I dont know the exact cause. But here is what i did as you had also suggested:

1. Did a mass compile

2. There was an unhandled error in the higher level VI where the Xcontrol resides.

3. Ran the desktop execution tool kit and rectified a couple of minor reference leaks 

So far it is working fine now. will have to run it for a longer period of time to see if there is any reference leaks or anything else that could show up causing the issue again. Thanks for the responses.

Message 5 of 17
(5,321 Views)

I had a simliar experience with my XControl where it was very slow to update when the value changed.

All I did was mass compile the XControl and that seemed to make it run correctly.

The XControl is in LV2013 version 13.0.1f5 and was a cluster of 16 numeric doubles.  All I was doing was updating the background color of each numeric in the cluster depending on value.

Message 6 of 17
(4,828 Views)

Actually, I later found out that, the issue is indeed with the xcontrol compilation. You dont have to do a mass compile of your project. You can open the facade of your xcontrol, Hit the RUN button with the CTRL button pressed. This will do a forced compile of the xcontrol and that resolved the issue for me.

Message 7 of 17
(4,809 Views)

I agree LVuser1980.  It is the Xcontrol compilation.  When I mass compiled before I should have been more specific.  What I meant was that I mass compliled the Xcontrol using the CTRL+SHIFT+Run arrow method.  I would be curious to know why this needs to happen in the first place.

Message 8 of 17
(4,791 Views)

Wow guys thank you so very much, I was loosing my mind.  I had a multicolumn listbox in my XControl and it was taking 1.5 seconds to set the active sell and color it (with no other cells being colored and not much data in the table).  I did a Shift Run to compile my facade, applied the changes and that action now takes around 40ms.  I was disabling all kinds of parts of my code trying to track it down, and figured someone must have seen something like this before.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(4,576 Views)

I just found my way to this thread, having experienced the same issue with Xcontrols and wasting a day pulling my hair out trying to work out where the time was getting lost.

Recompiled the project and presto, everything back to full speed.

Thanks Guys.

Message 10 of 17
(4,220 Views)