LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP SP2 not allowing shared dll to launch from .NET app

Hi All,

I have an application that I've created in LabVIEW 7.1 and turned it into a shared dll. I then created a .Net application that would call the shared dll and return back the output. This was working fine before installing XP SP2. I have tried unblocking pop-ups and also turning off the new firewall but to no avail.

I am not receiving any errors in the event view logs or the iis logs. Does anyone have any ideas as to why SP2 might be stopping a shared dll to be invoked or how to remedy the situation?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jim
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,362 Views)
Hello Jim,

I have not heard of SP2 having problems with shared DLLs in .NET. The first thing we need to figure out is where the issue is located.

For example:

Does the VI built into a DLL run in its VI state. If it does not, it would indicate that the VI is at fault and not the .NET / shared library interface.

What behavior do we see in the .NET application with XP SP2? Does the program hang or does it crash at the point the DLL is called?

Have you tried to rebuild and relink to the DLL after the upgrade?

What type of operations are you doing in the DLL? Is there anything that might conflict with the new security measures of SP2?

This information should help us in diagnosing the issue.

Regards,

Matt F
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,362 Views)
Hi Matt,

The VI works fine in standalone. All the VI does is take a string and return the uppercase of the string sent to it.

What I have done to try and narrow this down is I have built a VB6 COM object that wraps the shared DLL. I have used this in a VB executable and it works fine. I have used it in a VBScript file and it works fine here also. It does not work when I incorporate it into an ASP or ASPX page.

I don't get any entries into the event viewer logs or even in the IIS logs. I have also turned off the new fire wall installed by SP2 and have even put the ASPNET user into the Administrators group to see if it is a permissions problem for the ASPNET user. This did not change the outcome at all.

Another engineer at work suggested uni
nstalling IIS and reinstalling it and registering .net with it again and then remapping the .NET apps and see if that works.

I'm kind of stuck as this was a proof of concept and the basis of our design to be able to send strings back and forth to a LabVIEW shared dll.

Any thoughts?

Jim
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,362 Views)
Hello Jim,

A search of google for "ASP.NET, dll, sp2" returned multiple people having issues with DLL calls after a SP2 install. In most of them they mentioned the uninstall and reinstall of IIS solved the issue.

Regards,

Matt F
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,362 Views)