LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XControls - Can I use them or will I hate myself later?

Solved!
Go to solution

@paul_cardinale wrote:

And "sounds like a very useful tool" isn't enough motivation for me to do it.  Since it was your idea, go for it.

It was enough motivation for me so I made a half way decent attempt over here.  As I mention there, there's plenty of things I'd like to fix, with maybe the too small probe size being the most annoying.

Message 11 of 19
(1,866 Views)

So. to provide a real answer to the original question....

The two results are not mutually exclusive.Smiley Surprised

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(1,860 Views)

Sounds to me like this really should be a voting thread.

Do you hate XControls and use them?

Do you hate XControls and not use them?

Do you not hate XControls and use them?

Do you not hate XControls and not use them?

Spoiler
Put me down for a hate, but use them.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(1,854 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Sounds to me like this really should be a voting thread.

And where is the "Meh"?

Personally, I just found them to be more work than any gain I was possibly going to get in the few times I actually considered them.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 14 of 19
(1,846 Views)

I agree with crossrulz, you need a "meh" / "Indifferent" answer.  "I don't hate XControls and use them" really isn't as close as perhaps "I don't hate XControls, and I've used them in the past and might in the future."

(Can you tell we are engineers? Smiley Tongue)

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(1,843 Views)
@Hooovahh wrote:

Thanks you for sharing some of your XControls.  The Micro Error, and Super Error indicators seem most useful, and cover all the cases I can think of and I could see using those in an application in a debug window, or a status one maybe.  

The Audible Tweak is the most limiting.  Doesn't resize, fit to pane, can't change font size, or style, or arrow color, make transparent, etc.  That's not to say it isn't useful, I just see its uses so limited, that a subVI taking in a value change.  Beeping on a range of values could be more useable in a subVI since the amount of time tweaking the XControl for every application isn't going to add much benefit where a single subVI can be used everywhere regardless of the UI design.  Similar comments on the other XControls.  While coloring a Text Ring is super useful, the fact that every UI may need tweaking for each system makes it less useful.  Imagine if I have to use these XControls on a touch panel UI with large bold fonts for example.

I'd like to emphasize that this isn't meant to be a criticism of your work but a criticism of the limitations and uses of XControls.

Oh and you may want to put a minimum pane size on the Super Error indicator, if it is fit to pane and the pane gets really small objects are hidden behind other objects.

I didn't put much effort into the visual aspects of the Audible Tweak because its primary purpose is to allow the user to align an instrument while not being able to see the display on the test set.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(1,835 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Thanks you for sharing some of your XControls.  The Micro Error, and Super Error indicators seem most useful, and cover all the cases I can think of and I could see using those in an application in a debug window, or a status one maybe.  

The Audible Tweak is the most limiting.  Doesn't resize, fit to pane, can't change font size, or style, or arrow color, make transparent, etc.  That's not to say it isn't useful, I just see its uses so limited, that a subVI taking in a value change.  Beeping on a range of values could be more useable in a subVI since the amount of time tweaking the XControl for every application isn't going to add much benefit where a single subVI can be used everywhere regardless of the UI design.  Similar comments on the other XControls.  While coloring a Text Ring is super useful, the fact that every UI may need tweaking for each system makes it less useful.  Imagine if I have to use these XControls on a touch panel UI with large bold fonts for example.

I'd like to emphasize that this isn't meant to be a criticism of your work but a criticism of the limitations and uses of XControls.

Oh and you may want to put a minimum pane size on the Super Error indicator, if it is fit to pane and the pane gets really small objects are hidden behind other objects.

Did you not notice the Custom Properties dialog of the Text Ring with Colors?

trcpd.png

Is something missing?

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(1,827 Views)

Hooovahh wrote:

Interesting that your pairs were use/not use and hate/not hate. Really no option to like, I see!

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(1,822 Views)

@cbutcher wrote:

Interesting that your pairs were use/not use and hate/not hate. Really no option to like, I see!

Clearly my word choice could be better, hate/not hate is a bit polarizing. And adding a "Whatever", or "Meh" option would be useful too.

@paul_cardinale wrote:

Is something missing? 

Justification?  But yes I did miss that dialog the first time.  I wasn't looking for another dialog to configure font settings.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(1,814 Views)