LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong free disk size on a LabVIEW Real-Time Controller

Hello,

I have a remote real time controller. I used to save my data until it gave me the error that the memory is full and 0 B free disk space. I  deleted almost half of my data on the real tiem but the disk free space is still 0 B. I am wondering if there is any way to fix this problem. Is the real time still really full?

Thanks,

Ahmad

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,256 Views)

Depending how many times you have done this before, the problem may be that you have a "fragmented" drive, where the available disk segments are too small and randomly located. Another thought, what type of drive is it, a "regular" hard drive, or a solid state drive. SSD can have limited (although the number is pretty big) read/write cycles. Just a thought.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,253 Views)

Actually, I am not sure if I have SSD hard drive. I have attached the MAX report to this message if helps.

I usually save a bunch of measurements with the total size of 2-4 GB. So, I would say the majority of the drive was occupied by a number of huge folders.

So, if I have a fragmented drive, how can I fix it?

Does this affect the performance of the system?

thanks,

Ahmad

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,249 Views)

Deleting files should definitely be increasing the available disk space, assuming those files being deleted are a decent size.  MAX should also Does your application allow you the option to reset your device?  If you try clicking "restart" and then "refresh" in MAX after deleting the files, does it show any difference in the free disk space?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,223 Views)

You could also try the steps listed in this article.  Doing this will help determine whether or not it's a problem with MAX specifically.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,220 Views)
I tried the volume info function. It showed 74 Gigabytes file size with zero free space. I noticed that the code I used to easily run on the real time crashed more after the real time got full. It is really weird,  I have no idea what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,199 Views)

Would it be feasible to do a format/software reinstall on your controller?  If it still shows no disk space after doing this then there's definitely something wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,191 Views)

I had the same error of hard disk showing 0 free disk space two times. Each time I reformat the hard disk. I am not particularly doing any changes to the RT to cause the error.

What can cause this error to happen repeatedly? Is there a Scan disk or check disk utility to check the health of the hard disk on the RT? Can some bas sectors on the hard disk cause this error?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,163 Views)

Is this a PXI or a cRIO controller?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,134 Views)

Kyle, this is PXI 8106. I am running Veristand 2010.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,122 Views)