LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write to measurement file vs target personality

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I have a simple LABVIEW code that reads some analog inputs from a myRIO and writes the data to an Excel file. I have two issues that arise from two scenarios:

1. When the VI is initialized from the myRIO project that it's added to, the analog inputs can be acquired. But the Write to measurements express VI will not create an Excel file as required.

2. When the VI is initialized as a standalone, not through the project explorer, the analog input express VI says that the target personality does not support the express VI. If I replace the inputs with a random number generator, it writes the excel file as required.

How do I read from the myRIO and write to an Excel file at the same time?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,124 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author arajan

My recommendation is to use the Write To Delimited File to save your data to a tab delimited text file.  That will store the file on the myRIO.  You can then use FTP or WebDAV to copy the file to your computer.

The other option would be to make an application that runs under the "My Computer" in your project for saving the data.  Use Network Streams to send the data from the myRIO to the PC.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 6
(3,080 Views)

Thank you! I didn't know that the files were being saved in the myRIO itself. Why would it do this when I explicitly ask it to save in a specified path?

Aravindh.

EDIT: I noticed that the path address would change every time I entered the one I had wanted. Do you know how I could ask it to save onto the host computer?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,043 Views)

@arajan wrote:

Thank you! I didn't know that the files were being saved in the myRIO itself. Why would it do this when I explicitly ask it to save in a specified path?

Aravindh.

EDIT: I noticed that the path address would change every time I entered the one I had wanted. Do you know how I could ask it to save onto the host computer?

Think of the myRIO as what it really is: another computer.  Would you expect a computer you were remotely connected to save a file onto your host machine?  Hint: they do not do that.

You may be able to create a shared drive on your desktop and have the myRIO write to that using the network path.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,039 Views)

I've never seen it as another computer. Then again, I haven't worked with FPGAs either. I've decided to save the files on a USB and transfer them later.

Thank you again!

For anyone else who may come across this issue and this particular thread, there's a little bit more info here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Academic-Hardware-Products-ELVIS/Saving-files-directly-from-myRIO-to-compute...

Message 5 of 6
(3,036 Views)

@arajan wrote:

I've never seen it as another computer. Then again, I haven't worked with FPGAs either.

It is not the FPGA.  It is the RT Linux that is running on the myRIO that is "another computer".

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,031 Views)