LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write strings into TDMS file using TDMS advanced VIs

Hi,

I'm trying to log some data in RT using TDMS files. One solution is to using the advanced TDMS VIs due to the performing of the VxWork system.

But I can not find any settings for the string values being saved onto the TDMS file because the advanced write TDMS funtion allows "a 1D or 2D array of integers, floating-point numbers, Booleans, and timestamps" only.

I've tried the normal TDMS write functions but it performs relatively bad on a sbRIO RT system. For instance, it consums the CPU up to 100% for a few seconds, which is not acceptable for our usage.

I'll thank you for any suggestions!

Wilbur

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,016 Views)

What kind of strings are you trying to write?  TDMS is designed for waveform data.  Strings cannot be waveforms.  Or are the strings configuration data?  If that is the case, you want to save the strings in the properties.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,012 Views)

Hi,

for instance, the states in the state machines...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,002 Views)

You can save the string values as properties with "TDMS Set Properties" node if the amout of the string values are not huge.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,993 Views)

Hi,

it doesn't quite help me as I want to record every state in the State-Machine.

I have seen another problem using advanced TDMS function. If I want to save different formats of data in the TDMS through non-interleaved data layout, the data channels are not organised as programmed. In the attachment you may find the vi and the tdms file saved using this VI.

The save TDMS function can be optimized using the interleaved data layout but I just cannot tell the differences and why.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,955 Views)