From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working on a running VI w/o connected item

Hi there,

does someone has a good idea to overcome the permanent LabView fault window which comes up, while using a running VI, but with a not connected device?

I would like to get a one time info window like "device not connected".

Does it looks like a loop issue?

Thanks for some good hints.

Ralph

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,405 Views)

You could stop the loop when you get an error.

You could store the error in a shift register and wire that to the VIs that access the device (assuming they do nothing when an input error is present).

You could change to an NI DAQ and use DAQmx where you can have a simulated device.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,378 Views)

Sounds like the correct way of doing it.

How do I program to stop the loop, once the VI recognises that the device is not connected? Can you give me a code example?

Thanks,

Ralph

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,368 Views)

What you need is a State Machine. You could have Idle, Initialize Hardware, Handle error, etc. states. Search for this term and you will find lots of examples.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,359 Views)

Use the error wire.  Often OR the error wire with your normal stop condition and the output goes to the loop conditional terminal.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,358 Views)