LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workarounds to run 32-bit toolkits (like FPGA) or 32-bit dlls from LV 64-bit

In my application, I have an intensive vision application that acquires a lot of data. I want to use 64-bit LabVIEW and 64-bit Vision.  However, the application also needs to use a PCIe R-series FPGA card to control what's happening in front of the camera. 

Here's the problem, the FPGA module doesn't run in LV 64-bit, so the VIs I need to communicate to the FPGA (to configure the waveforms, start and stop, etc) won't run in LV 64-bit.  My workaround is to run both 32-bit and 64-bit LV simultaneously.  I'll have the main application running in the 64-bit environment, and the FPGA communication code running in the 32-bit LV. One could use the same scheme to run 32-bit DLLs from the 64-bit LV (of course these 32-bit components are still running as 32-bit processes, but at least they are running!)

Now the problem is how best to communicate between the two applications.  I could use text files, shared variables, but right now I'm leaning towards using VI server, just as you would communicate with multiple application instances running on the same machine.  I'm planning to set the VI server listening port for the 64-bit application to something different than the 32-bit app (or maybe just it turn off), and then open and run VIs by reference calls ala :

21379iB89189D3F4AE17C4

Anybody else have any advice?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(2,067 Views)