LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless network streams

Hello.

I'm finishing up a project using a cRio 9030 and I want to know if the network streams communication protocol is limited to a wired ethernet cable and if the network steam can only be ran through the primary ethernet port of the cRIO. My ultimate goal is to have the ability to dial into the cRIO from a desktop pc using a separate VI and sign out as need be.

Currently the project has an SMTP email system set up through the wireless module, which is connect to the cRIO through port 2. I did some experments with the network stream set up but couldn't manage to make a solid connection over the wireless. However, when i connected my pc to the primary port using an ethernet cable, I was able to connect perfectly.

I am open to adopting an alternative method of communication such as CCC or a custom TCP/IP protocol, but I really need to know if the data streams can work through a wireless connection and if the fact that my wireless communication is setup on the secondary port could be impacting my setup.

Thanks for any and all replies!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,697 Views)

I think Im going to go out on a limb and say that network streams only work with Ethernet cables.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,665 Views)

Scratch that last statement.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,658 Views)

Good news the system works..sort off.

I set up a network stream writer which I attempted to connect to the cRIO on my application. For a sanity check, I used a laptop on a wireless module with a basic network stream reader which i attempted to stream a basic numerical control. This proved somewhat successful as the connect would make and the initial numeric value would stream but any change in this value would not stream. I then attempted this simple example on my cRIO to no avail.

I then decided to make a stream manager which didn't work, so I attempted to setup the simple network steam once again. For this attempt, I added a -1 constant to the Read Single Element from Stream vi. For some odd reason this time the connection worked as expected. I was able to stream the varying numeric value over a wireless connection! With this success, I attempted to connect to the cRIO by alternating the IP address to the cRIO and low and behold I'm able to stream the initial value only.

It maybe the uncertainty of the wireless module or magic, but I'm very much pleased with the progress. I'm going to attempt to modify read vi on the cRIO side and see if adding the -1 constant to the Read Single Element from Stream.vi will do the trick, even though the default is in fact, -1, but hopefully it will make the difference.

To answer my own question; yes you can use network streams on a wireless network. I did have to change to the primary IP port to do it (which was a pain). And so far I'm somewhat success at achieving my goal but still for away. 

Here is the code for the network write if anyone is interested.

Message 4 of 5
(2,643 Views)

It's awesome to see the progress you've made. Thanks for sharing your results with everyone!

Daniel Parrott
Software Product Marketing - Data Management & LabVIEW
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,617 Views)