LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 crash

I wrote a VI for controlling 3 New-Era syringe pumps and a Eurotherm 3216 temperature controller.

The 3 syringe pumps are piggy backed one after the other, and the first syringe as well as the temperature controller are connected via USB-to-Serial to a YOGA2PRO idea-pad running a 64bit Windows 8.1 running Labview 2013

My problem is that the program causes windows to crash, resulting in the blue reboot screen with the error "Multiple_IRP_complete_requests"

This error occurs at different stages of the programs and can occur after 10 mineuts or after an hour of running.

When I transfer the exact same VI to a 32bit Windows XP Lenovo running Labview2012  the program runs without a glitch!

I tried rewriting the VI to account for communication collisions or timing issues but havent been able to solve this mystry!

For now Im running my program on the "old" computer, but I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions on the matter.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,414 Views)

What is your code doing?  Post it if you can.  Until you do all we can do is speculate.

Since I'm forced to speculate I would guess you are doing a bunch of .Net or ActiveX, or system DLL calls and their behavior is slightly different from one OS to another and causing general strangeness.

A simple troubleshooting technique is to disable parts of your code until the behavior goes away, and then investigate that part of the code, or re-write that part to use native functions that won't cause a BSOD.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,387 Views)

Thanks for your reply,

I am inclined to post the code becasue it is somewhat complex and dont want to bother anyone with an annoying debugging...

What I can say is that I am using Eurotherm VI pack to (a) set the desired setpoint (only once), and then (b) periodically  read the current temperature. as for the syringe pumps, I am using the NE VI pack to setup the pump parameters and the giving it the "start" command. I then read the diffuesed volume periodically (in parallel to the temperature reading) using the NE Read VI.

and I repeat this sequence a couple of times.

However the system crashes at any of these different satges, sometimes when in the temperature reading phase only, sometimes when reading both the volume and the temperature simultaneously, and sometime while only reading the volumes.

Also, the crash may occure after allready repeating a number loops of the above cycle...

Thanks again for you attempts to help!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,381 Views)

Without any more information than you've given (program crashes Windows, can happen at any time, in any stage of operation, on one of two computers, I don't want to offer the code to aid in troubleshooting), about the only advice one can give would be to use a four-step process (stop at success):

1.  Reinstall LabVIEW.

2.  Reinstall Windows (or go to another OS).

3.  Replace USB->Serial interface or reinstall driver (if any).

4.  Get another computer.

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,371 Views)

Thanks for your reply,

I have brokedown my VI to the basic function of reading in series from the two devices (a New-Era syringe pump, and a Eurotherm 3216 temperature controller)

However, the windows keeps crashing.

Attached is the VI.

Appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,317 Views)

IT is difficult to troubleshoot, because you did not attach any of the driver subVIs.

There is a lot of information on the web about this specific error and most likely it is an incompatibility between drivers. I assume you followed some of the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the linked search results.

Are you even 100% sure it is LabVIEW that causes the crash?

In addition, the LabVIEW code you have posted is a nightmare, with lots of unecessary stuff (e.g. the outermost sequence structure does exactly nothing!). There is lenght code (loops and multistep sequences) inside the event structure. I would recommend to use a state machine architecture instead.

There is no mechanism to clear the xy graph between runs. Why not use a shift regsiter instead of all these local variables?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,306 Views)

Here are all the files.

In addition, I removed all the unnecessary stuff from the code.

I have no reason to believe the crash occurs due to anything but the labview, because there is absolutly nothing else on the computer besides the OS.

and this error keeps hapening only when I run the program

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,294 Views)

The most recent reports (Feb 2014) claim that logmein hamachi causes similar errors. Do you possibly have that VPN software?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,289 Views)

I am using a brand-new computer, the only thing installed on it (other than factory software) is labview (and I dont see such a program installed)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,286 Views)

I assume you did all the pending windows updates (there are usually many on a new computer). Correct?

What kind of factory software garbageware is installed?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,257 Views)