From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 system exec.vi Error 2: Memory Full

Solved!
Go to solution

I am currently using Windows 7 with Labview 2010.  I am trying to execute opening a website from the system exec.vi.  When I run the VI I get error 2 saying the memory is full.  I ran this same VI in Windows XP with Labview 2010 and it worked fine.  I have tried increasing the expected output size memory for the system exec.vi as high as possible.  It appears Windows 7 handles this differently than Windows XP.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(12,348 Views)

Hello Mike,

This is Andrew Brown, an Applications Engineer from National Instruments. After researching your issue, I found an article called Error 2 (Memory Full) When Using the System Exec VI that points to a possible solution. With your application, the issue is probably related to syntax more than memory usage. Some general background on using the System Exec VI can be found at the LabVIEW 2011 help page and How do I Execute a Windows Command in LabVIEW.

Please let me know if you have additional questions about these resources. Thanks, and have a great day!

Regards,

Andrew Brown 

Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(12,296 Views)

Why not just use the "Open URL in Default Browser" VI that ships with LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(12,287 Views)

If you are running Win7 64 bit, this may be your issue:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/176706

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(12,283 Views)

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response.  I guess I should explain my problem in more detail.  I am trying to execute SVN Turtoise commands in labview.  I have the VI point to the SVN repository URL and gather the information about the files.  When it finds the files it then updates them locally on my computer.  Attached is a picture of the VI that I am currently using.  The VI fails when the system exec.vi is run saying Error 2: Memory is full.  I have run this VI on a separate computer running windows xp and it exectues perfectly.  Let me know if this helps claify the problem or if you have additional solutions.  Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(12,279 Views)

Nope, running Windows 7 - 32 Bit but thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(12,277 Views)

@Matthew Kelton wrote:

If you are running Win7 64 bit, this may be your issue:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/176706

Ah, so it's all Chris' fault! We should have known!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 20
(12,272 Views)

Mike@SensorSwitch wrote:

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response.  I guess I should explain my problem in more detail. 

Yeah, that usually helps.

Your most likely issue is a path issue. The System Exec command is equivalent to you doing a Start -> Run and entering a command there. If it doesn't work there, it won't work with System Exec. System Exec does not run in a command shell. Hence, sometimes commands need to be preceded with "cmd /c" or "cmd /k", depending on the behavior that you want. You should verify that "svn" is actually in your PATH. If not, then the command won't work via Start -> Run, and thus will not work with System Exec.

P.S. You may wish to look at JKI's TortoiseSVN Toolkit, though I don't know if you're using TortoiseSVN.

Message 8 of 20
(12,264 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(12,261 Views)

Why would it work on the Windows XP computer and not the Windows 7?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(12,257 Views)