LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 compatibility with applications developed in LabView

Solved!
Go to solution

We have deployed several applications developed in LabView that run OK under Win7 and Win8.x.

Are there any known incompatibility issues with Windows 10 and applications that are created  with "LV2012 SP1 that read data from NiDaq cards". Should we warn our customers to not to upgrade their OS or should we ask them to install a specific version of NI Runtime Engine or NiDaq libraries?

Best,

Hatef

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(22,170 Views)

Well Windows 10 isn't officially out so NI probably isn't done testing compatibilites, and even if they were done they probably would wait until a release candidate to perform more testing with.

That being said NI likely won't "support" LabVIEW 2012 on a new OS.  Looking at the compatibilty chart you'll see that NI never would go back and patch an older version of LabVIEW to support a new OS, they would only do so with a new service pack.  Windows 7 came out in July 2009 and you'll see it wasn't until 2009 SP1 released in Febrary that it was officially supported by NI.

My point is if Windows 10 is official this summer, don't expect NI to officially support Windows 10 until LabVIEW 2015 SP1 in February.

Does that mean your code won't run?  Nope, it should run just fine, just like some people have LabVIEW 7 running on Windows 7, but if you have build problems or strange errors you might not get the support you need.

Message 2 of 25
(22,116 Views)

Thanks Hoovah,

I have seen the chart that you have mentioned. I a not worried about the development environment as much as I am worried about the clients that use our products. I can easily choose to not to upgrade my OS until a compatible version of LV is in the market. what I am afraid is not being able to run the program at all or scarier scenarios such as weird issues in USB drivers that read NiDaq data or how tcp/ip communication will get affected or things that need extensive testing to even be found!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(22,095 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Hatefk

@Hatefk wrote:

I a not worried about the development environment as much as I am worried about the clients that use our products. 

Well both development and EXE run the same run-time engine for executing code, and the same drivers from things like DAQmx.  If you upgrade to Windows 10, and something goofy happens to the TCP stack you should call up NI for help, but they may say the solution is to upgrade to whatever version of LabVIEW is supported in Windows 10.  The chance of that happening is slim but weirder things have happened.

Message 4 of 25
(22,075 Views)

I upgaded to Windows 10 and LabviewmyRIO 2015  does not recognize my myRIO any longer (it had been working on windows 7 just fine)

I have done just about anything and still I am stuck.

NI Max sees myRIO under Devices and interfaces but not under Remote Systems and the later one is the one it must recognize myRIO box

If anyone has been able to use myRIO with windows 10 please let me know how have you done so.

My hardware is fine. when I use myRIO on another computer with windows 7, all is fine. 

Behzad

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(19,399 Views)

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling LabVIEW and the NI device drivers (e.g. NI RIO, myRIO toolkit etc. etc.)? Some of the NI drivers/configuration may not have been preserved during the upgrade process so a reinstall/repair might fix things for you.

I've used a myRIO with Windows 10 and LabVIEW 2013, so it does work.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(19,368 Views)

Hi Sam_Sharp,

Have you used LabView 2013 under Windows 10?

any issues?

Best,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(19,322 Views)

@Sam_Sharp wrote:

I've used a myRIO with Windows 10 and LabVIEW 2013, so it does work.

No major issues that I can recall - some toolkits or something might not be fully supported but I also don't use that laptop for a lot of development so I can't say I've fully tested it out.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 8 of 25
(19,310 Views)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(19,304 Views)

I received a program .exe made in Labview, I'm already using it in a computer with windows 7 and it is working, when I tried to use it in a new PC with windows 10, the program is not working, first it says that running the labview software is risky for being and unknown source. I ask to continue and the next message is "this app can't run in your PC, to find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher". can you help me find a solution? thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(17,483 Views)