From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no VALUE CHANGED event?

Solved!
Go to solution

There's another aspect that doesn't work quite right (IMO).

I have an array of clusters showing one element, and I use a separate slider to choose which index is visible.

I have the mouse WHEEL set to change the slider.

If you make changes to something in the visible element, and then mouse over the slider and roll the wheel, the index changes (as it should) without entering the new value.

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(1,548 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CoastalMaineBird

A possible workaround is to remove the KeyFocus from the element that is currently edited. You can also force that by setting the KeyFocus to a dummy control and removing the KeyFocus again (then you don't need to know which control currently had the KeyFocus). This will end the edit and trigger the value change event.

If you do that in the Menu Activation before reading out the controls you will get the updated value (event though the value change event will fire only afterwards).

Message 12 of 22
(1,499 Views)

Yes!

Thanks, dan_u !

That works.  Attached is a test program with a BROKEN / FIXED switch.

The FIXED case simply sets KEYFOCUS on a dummy control (the switch itself) in the MENU ACTIVATION before reading the cluster's value.

That forces an end to editing and the menus work properly, and the shortcuts work properly.

Even ABCDE ^S works properly: the SAVE code sees the ABCDE that you want to save.

The dummy must be a CONTROL (not indicator).

It must be VISIBLE (not hidden).

The downside is you lose the edit cursor where you were.  But that's less painful than losing data.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(1,470 Views)

If the dummy item is a NUMERIC or STRING control, and it's behind something, giving it KEY FOCUS means that the text part of the control (but not the border) shows through whatever you hid it behind.  Yuck.

Best to make it a boolean control, which doesn't try to come in front.

Or just hide the thing outside the window borders.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(1,460 Views)

Can anyone try that ValChg2.vi with LV 2015?

Just set the switch to BROKEN, and run it.  Type ABCDE ^S in the STRING control, and see what the log shows.

Does it show the value as including the ABCDE?

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(1,457 Views)

I'm glad it works. The workaround will not be suited for all cases, e.g. when you update the data in an object inside the value change event you still have the issue that the events fire in the "wrong" order (see this thread: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/LV2013-Events-ordering-mouse-down-vs-value-changed/td-p/3175412), so the data will only be updated after the activation event fires.

Sorry, I only have LV2012.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(1,438 Views)

@CoastalMaineBird wrote:

Can anyone try that ValChg2.vi with LV 2015?

Just set the switch to BROKEN, and run it.  Type ABCDE ^S in the STRING control, and see what the log shows.

Does it show the value as including the ABCDE?

I tried it in 2015 typing "ABCD ^S" then clicked File in the menu, and the log only has one line.

Menu Activation.  String is "Edit This String", Number is 123.0,  Dirty = FALSE

If you don't like the border on the control, have the focus set to a control that is off the part of the FP that can be seen.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(1,420 Views)

@CoastalMaineBird wrote:

The downside is you lose the edit cursor where you were.  But that's less painful than losing data.

You can also set the KeyFocus back to the edited object. Just use the "Find Control with Key Focus" method to get a reference to the control, set the KeyFocus to the dummy control, then back to the control reference returned by the find method.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(1,413 Views)

I tried it in 2015 typing "ABCD ^S" then clicked File in the menu, and the log only has one line.

OK, thanks.  That means that nothing has changed.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(1,390 Views)

@CoastalMaineBird wrote:

OK, thanks.  That means that nothing has changed.

I doubt NI would see this as a bug, and fixing it would probably mean breaking code that relies on this behavior.  There is a work around and it isn't one of my 3 terrible ones, so I doubt we will see this behavior change.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(1,383 Views)