LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why it can't work?

Even not icon view would have told you it was a U8.  It just would not have told you it was a progress bar.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(582 Views)

So another question is why. The fact that a progress bar defaults to u8 must be rooted in very ancient times where memory was tight and very expensive. 😄

Message 12 of 17
(577 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

So another question is why. The fact that a progress bar defaults to u8 must be rooted in very ancient times where memory was tight and very expensive. 😄

Its for the same reason most digital o-scopes are 8 bit.  They are meant for human eyeballs and 8-bits is finer than the eye can easilly distinguish.  

EDIT: Huh? I'm telling that to who?Smiley Surprised

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(565 Views)
Well, I'd guess that a progress bar would be used to show 0-100.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(556 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
Well, I'd guess that a progress bar would be used to show 0-100.

Yes, but in 100% of my applications it is based on N and i of a FOR loop, so I32 would avoid a coercion and extra data copy. 😉

I always change the representation to I32.

(Here's what I typically use. For a parallel FOR loop it is a little more complicated as discussed elsewhere....;))

(Also a percent value is generally based on a division, so it is typically not even an integer. What if the progress bar is 300 pixels wide and shows a digital display showing the progress with two decimal digits? Now we need a DBL)

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(551 Views)

altenbach wrote:

I always change the representation to I32.

(Here's what I typically use. For a parallel FOR loop it is a little more complicated as discussed elsewhere....;))

(Also a percent value is generally based on a division, so it is typically not even an integer. What if the progress bar is 300 pixels wide and shows a digital display showing the progress with two decimal digits? Now we need a DBL)

I also normally change the representation to I32.  But I also use a property node before the FOR loop to set the maximum to N.  Inside the FOR loop, I then just wire i straight into the progress bar's terminal.  It avoids all of the extra math at the expense of writing to a property node once.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(500 Views)

Yes, that works if you don't show the digital display.

(It also won't work for parallel FOR loops because [i] will be in random order. 😉 You would still need more advanced code)

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(493 Views)