From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my front panel opening with a white background and most of the control invisible

Solved!
Go to solution

when I open my vi and several others they open with a white background and most of the controls not being rendered like theis

white.PNG

after I resize it it looks like it should

after resize.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,716 Views)

Video driver problems?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,697 Views)

No other video problems, and it only happens to some vi's and it always re-draws correctly after a resize

BTW, I too am a Ravens fan born in Baltimore and live in Md most of my life

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,686 Views)

Excellent!  I'll be going to the game this Sunday against the Bengals.  Almost a must win even though it is this early in the season.

Perhaps something is corrupted in those couple VI's.  Try copying your block diagram code from there to a fresh, blank VI.  Your front panel should come over okay.

Then see if the newly created VI still has the redraw problem.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,666 Views)

I copied the diagram to a new vi and at first it seemed to help but after I closed the vi the next time I opened it from the calling vi it came up completely white, this version 2013 service pack 1, and it is not limited to any single vi

I am thinking about reinstalling LabVIEW

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,607 Views)

Before reinstalling, try opening it in LabVIEW on another machine and see if it opens up wrong.  Even post it here if you can and I'll try it out.

If it opens okay elsewhere, then reinstalling LabVIEW would help in theory.  (At least you'd know the VI was okay.)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,601 Views)

I have tried opening many other vis and did not see the problem

I made a copy of the vi and deleted everything in the diagram except the terminal, this still has the problem

I started deleting indicators and the problem went away

I went back to the original vi and started replacing the indicators with silver style (just a different style) and now the problem does not seem to happen

in any case I don't see any reason to investigate any further because the vi always worked anyway

this reminds me of a few years ago when I used to get insane object messages ( I thought it was talking about me)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,585 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RustyStrings

It probably is somewhat similar to those insane object problems.

Sometimes copy/paste works because it takes your code out of a VI that might have a corruption and puts in a fresh VI.  In your case, the corruption might be related to the control itself and it just got copied over into the new VI.  Silver controls are a relatively recent creation that added some fancy appearances.  They do seem to be the style that is more likely to have some behind the scenes bugs compared to the styles of controls that have been around longer.

If you have an SSP, or if someone from NI jumps in here and wants to investigate, they may want to see your VI and figure out what is going wrong in it.  If not, hopefully what you've done has fixed the problem and you can move on without it coming back.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,572 Views)

I think you are correct about the corrupt controls/ ndicators

This was happening with more than one vis that were recently added by someone else

one other thing I have noticed is that when some of the vis load they come up white first then "paint" the front panel and the delay from white to painted seems to change maybe based upon if they were previouly loaded or not

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,562 Views)

The problem did not go away, but I am almost positive that it has something to do with the Physical Channels control

after I went to the diagram and hide that control the problem went away

all of the new code that was having the problem has one of these controls, and when I placed one on the front panel of a vi it did not display correctly and cause the problem to come back

I am going to try this with a new vi

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,487 Views)