LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my USB camera recognized in MAX but not in LabView?

Which version of LabVIEW are you using? Maybe you need to install a newer version of NI-IMAQdx to work with newer versions of LabVIEW/MAX? (I have 14.5.0 installed on my machine)

Also, do you have the 'development support' installed, or just the runtime?

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 31
(1,868 Views)

Mark,

Did you try the tiny program that I submitted?  It is a Snippet, which means you should be able to open LabVIEW 2014, create a New VI, open its block diagram, then drag the image from your browser to the Block Diagram where it will become LabVIEW code.  Click on the Camera Constant and choose the name of your camera, then run it.  What happens?  Do you get a picture?  If not, what does happen?  Errors?  It "gets stuck"?  You are trying to do "something else"?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 31
(1,845 Views)

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. My latest version of Labview is 2012. When you say browser, what exactly do you mean? The only places that the camera appears in is in the windows device manager and in the Logitech app that came with the camera.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 31
(1,832 Views)

Mark,

My apologies for (a) not realizing you were using LabVIEW 2012, and (b) not being clear about Snippets.  The image shown here is a LabVIEW 2012 Snippet, a file with a .PNG extension (so it "displays" like an image) when you view it in a web browser while viewing the Forums (that's what I meant by a Browser), but has the remarkable property that if you have your browser open viewing the Forums and have LabVIEW 2012 open with a blank VI's Block Diagram open, you can "drag" the image below from the Forums and drop it into your Block Diagram where (thanks to some NI Magic) it will become executable LabVIEW code!  So all you need to do is to go change the (now "cam2") constant to whatever MAX has assigned your Logitech C920, hit the Run button, and the Front Panel should have a picture showing.

By the way, you can tell this is a Snippet by the NI symbols in the upper left, and the LabVIEW Version in the upper right.

However, there's a small caveat.  I did this earlier from work where I have a C920 and was running LabVIEW 2014.  I'm currently home, where I have a Microsoft LifeCam that I tried to use with LabVIEW 2012.  I hadn't used the camera in a few years, and wouldn't you know, it wasn't working with MAX, its own software, or LabVIEW.  So I opened a "spare" Logitech C920, which MAX immediately found, but LabVIEW could not!  Sound familiar?

I think I "fixed" the problem (at least it is now working) by downloading the drivers from Logitech.  In any case, this code now works for me here at home, as well as at work.  Give it a try and let us know if (a) it works, (b) it fails and produces no errors, (c) it fails with errors (tell us the error message), or (d) None of the Above.

IMAQdx Snap.png

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 31
(1,796 Views)

I believe the main issue is an incompatibility with NI-IMAQ and LabVIEW. You can use this document:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/DB928F6D5E9D6B97862579A7006B2850

Here is a link to the vision acquisition software:

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-vision-acquisition-software-february-2015/5149/en/

This includes IMAQdx that requires a license, however after the evaluation period you can still use IMAQ.

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 31
(1,787 Views)

Thanks Bob for taking the time to explain it all. I'll give it a try - assuming I can get the camera to appear in MAX.

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 31
(1,773 Views)

Even if the camera show up in MAX does not mean is going to show up in LabVIEW. You need a driver compatible with LabVIEW.

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 31
(1,695 Views)

Thanks Randy,

Bingo.......my camera is now visible in NI MAX and Vision Assistant. My previous version of MAX was 14.5.0f0. However, the link you gave me rolled it back to 14.5. I already had IMAQdx installed. I don't know what the difference is between MAX 14.5 and 14.5.0f0. The main thing is that Vs 14.5 seems to be better suited.

Thanks to you and everyone else that responded, I can continue with my imaging quest.

I shall now try the VIs you and the others have suggested.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 31
(1,645 Views)

Hi, I had the same problem as you and I was able to solve it. You simply need to install a firmware called Vision IMAQS on the myRio, not on your computer. It will then detect the camera.

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 31
(1,508 Views)

Hello GreenGiant,

I am really glad that it worked. Remember to set the forums ans resolved. 

Regards,

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 31
(1,501 Views)