LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my USB DAQ device not detected by Windows?

Hello,

I had my USB-6229 connected to my PC (Windows 7 64bit) this morning and everything was fine: Windows detected the device, the device showed up on on NI MAX, and testing through NI MAX was successful. I then installed the NI DAQmx 9.8 driver to replace the NI DAQmx 9.6 driver that I was using (the DAQ Assistant icon in my functions menu in LabVIEW 2013 was not present, and this upgrade fixed that issue). Unfortunately, Windows now no longer recognizes the same DAQ device that worked earlier this morning.

Here's what I've tried so far:

• Uninstalling the 9.8 driver and re-installing the 9.6
  • Tested another USB DAQ device; Windows could not detect it either
  • None of the DAQ devices register on WIndows's device manager (usb ports not broken, as the flash drives I inserted showed up on device manager)
  • As expected, none of the devices show up on NI MAX

Does anyone have any suggestions on what may have happened when I upgraded from the 9.6 driver to the 9.8?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(7,242 Views)

Try stopping/starting the NI Device Loader service and be sure it's set to start automatically.

This may be a dumb question but did you reboot after upgrading daqmx? Does the device show up in device manager?

Philip
CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(7,214 Views)

Thanks for your reply, Philip. Yes, I did reboot my computer after installing the driver.

I contacted NI support, and we were unable to reach a solution, so, as a last effort, re-installed the driver for the third time, which finally worked. I'm not sure what the problem was, but here are some extra steps I took before re-installing the driver that may benefit those who encounter a similar problem:

1. As Philip mentioned, start the NI Device Loader if it has not been started or stop/start it if it has. The startup status ought to be set to "automatic." You can find the NI Device Loader by starting Task Manager, selecting the "Services" tab, then selecting the "Services" button. Scroll down the list until you find it.

2. Open up Device Manager and search for your device (mine was labeled as "unidentifiable"). Right click and select "Properties." Select the "Driver" tab. You may need to manually select the driver folder, which should be located in C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS.

Hope that helps.

Message 3 of 3
(7,165 Views)