From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my divide have an error passthrough

Solved!
Go to solution

My signals are all fine up until I get to the divide function. Then it goes to zero.

I inserted indicators at each wire until I found the spot my signal dropped to zero.

I have never seen an error passthrough like the one i get from this signal.

It is a 0-25 in wc dp gauge that reads just fine on my indicators for it.

It reads good after I convert to in Hg and after I add in the baro reading.

It zero's at the divide symbol.  It is being divied by °R.  I read in °R no problem.

It should read around .05.  My other indicators have no problem showning a lower number.

I checked that my indicator wan't set to a lower resolution.

labview prob.jpglabview prob signal start.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,267 Views)

The line that looks broken from the multiply by .0735559 to add baro is really there.

Just didn't show up on the screen gram for some reason.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,264 Views)
You are using the evil dynamic data type and it is just impossible to determine the underlying data. Could be scalars, 1D or 2D arrays, even Booleans. Use explicit data types or post the entire VI so someone can figure out what you need to change.
Message 3 of 13
(3,253 Views)

The easy part is the error cluster connections. Many of the basic math functions will grow those tails when a wavefrom or Dynamic Data Type is wired to one of the inputs.

Two things to check regarding the zero output: Create indicators on the wires going to the inputs. If the upper one is zero or the lower one is Inf, you could get zero as the output. Also create an indicator on the error out cluster.

The Dynamic Data Type (also known among some users as the "Evil" Dynamic Data Type) obscures the data and the form of the data it carries. There could be something wierd in there and you would never know.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,249 Views)

What do you want to bet that getting rid of the purple wires will fix his problem?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,228 Views)

I am not going to bet against an almost sure thing!

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,216 Views)
I always view those purple wires as black - to match the soul of whoever invented it.;-)
Message 7 of 13
(3,202 Views)

Thanks for the input.  I will look at trying to change the data type.  Still a newb though.

I have put indicators at every wire and get good numbers at all of them until i get to that divider.

If you guys are brave enough to look my vi over I will post it.

Seeing as how I haven't made it through the tutorials yet and have taken no classes, it is full of room for improvement.

Like not using the DAQ assistant.  But I needed this up and running with no time for study and it does that.  Except for the pesky little pitot tube we just added.

It also has all kinds of things that could be done to improve timing.  I don't yet know what they are or how to do them though.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,145 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RedneckNerd
Why didn't you just go ahead and attach the VI?

As far as the dynamic data, on the wire that exits the DAQ Assistant, insert a Convert From Dynamic Data function. You can right click on this to select the type of data. If you are acquiring multiple channels and multiple samples, it would be appropriate to convert to a 1D waveform array.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,122 Views)

Thats actually what I did after reading the responses i got.

It worked great.  I then had to convert some other data lines to make the rest of my mess work.

But thats fine unitl I can go back and rebuild it proper.

In the meantime here is the horror that I built as my first project.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,110 Views)