LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does a blank VI open everytime I launch LabVIEW 2014?

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently installed my upgrade to LabVIEW 2014 Full Developmet System. Now, everytime I launch LabVIEW a blank VI pops up. I cannot find an option to turn that off. Can someone help me here?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,774 Views)

If "Skip Getting Started window on launch" is deselected, you go straight into a new VI.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 2 of 14
(3,768 Views)

Just found it.

Dear NI LabVIEW Programmers, when you have a checkbox that says "Skip Getting Started window on launch", I would not expect Labview to launch a blank VI. I would expect the "Getting Started" window to stop popping up.

Your menu is 180 degrees unclear.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,765 Views)

Well, if not the Startup window, and not a new VI then... what?  It's not psychic,  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Message 4 of 14
(3,763 Views)

"Getting Started" is like the small window that tells you all the news and features of the newest version of Labview. That menu selction is counterintuitive.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,761 Views)

I've been using LV for so long now it no longer feels counterintuitive to me.  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,756 Views)

I love the GSW just for launching the different projects I am working on.  Pinning the projects has saved me days in the last couple of years.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 7 of 14
(3,738 Views)

Yup the GSW has been more useful in versions 2012 and newer with the pinning of VIs and Projects.  I don't really see a need to skip it and have a new VI, until they take away my CTRL + N.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,690 Views)

@Bryan24 wrote:

"Getting Started" is like the small window that tells you all the news and features of the newest version of Labview. That menu selction is counterintuitive.

No, the small window is the welcome window.

The getting started window is the one where you see the recent VIs and projectes, etc.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,659 Views)

Well, the environment option shoud have a checkbox for "Open a blank vi upon launching LabVIEW" That would make MUCH more sense. You are not skipping the Getting Started Window. When you close the blank VI, the "Getting Started" window is still there.

The header bar on that window is "LabVIEW" The title in the first block is LabVIEW 2014 in BIG BOLD letters. LabVIEW is loaded. I don't have any projects or VIs open yet.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help. I have the options set the way I want them now.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,650 Views)