LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do the LabVIEW examples that use the queue design have one loop in the top level and all the others as subvis?

Specifically the Weather Monitor example under connectivity/Web Services and the FPGA design examples.

There are several parallel loops. One of the parallel loops will be in the top level VI. The others are all in sub-VIs. After the third example I was looking at it seemed obvious this was being done as a standard, but I don't know why it matters.

Why not all of them as SubVIs? Why not all of them as top level loops? (Well OK maybe not that one.)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,436 Views)

My guess would be to keep the complexity of each block diagram down - encapsulating functionality into SubVIs - in order to make the example more easily understood. But yes, operationally (bar minor call overhead) it would be indentical.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,425 Views)
More likely, they did one that way (for reasons unknown) and then they copied it for the other examples. There is no good reason for doing it that way.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,404 Views)

For me, it depends on what is happening in the parallel loops.  When I have modules that just need to run in parallel with the main loop, it helps reusability to have it a a subVI call.  I can then just copy that library to another project and use it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,388 Views)