LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I keep having pop up window for selecting file path

I am writing data to a 2D spreadsheet. when I run, it pops up a window to let me select a file to write to (as expected). However, after I select the file and click ok, the program does nothing and pops up the same window again and again. Is there any settings that I need to modify? Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,324 Views)

I would guess that you have the spreadsheet function in a loop and no file path control or constant wired to it.  Thus every time the loop runs, it will ask for the file again.

Use a File path control or constant to designate the file path.

If this doesn't solve your problem, please post your VI so we can see what you might be doing wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,323 Views)

hi mth2

I think you have not connected path constant or control to input of "Write to spreadsheet.vi". If you see context help of the same, you will find that if you do not connect file path i/p , its a Dialog. so check it.

Best luck

Gaurav kSmiley Happy

Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
Do not forget to Mark solution and to give Kudo if problem is solved.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,306 Views)

Hello mth2

See the attached example.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,298 Views)

Hey Ravens, thanks for your help!
I think I have a file path control to it. Since, I am new to NI maybe I missed some mistakes here, so I have posted the vi here. Really appreciate your time!

Taylor 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,271 Views)

Unless you specify the path before starting the VI, you will be prompted for it. Once prompted, you have no code (i.e. a shift register) to get the provided path back to the input of the function the next time it is called. You seem to know how to use a shifter register. Just do the same thing with the new path output of the Write to Spreadsheet File.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,269 Views)

Your path control is empty, so you will be prompted for the file path.

Please don't post any VI's that are set to run when opened.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,266 Views)
Hello, Dennis. I did not actually write this vi. I wondering if you could help me correct it and post the vi here? Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,264 Views)

How do I set a default path to it then?
Btw, i will not post the vi's u specified any more 🙂

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,260 Views)
Before running, use the browse button to set a path.  Then right click on the control Data Operations and Make current value default.  Then save your VI.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,256 Views)