LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why LabVIEW can be only closed via task manager (still)?

Hello,

I am still seeing a very annoying problem, since many years. When I try to quit and close LabVIEW IDE, its window closes but it is still present in the taskbar. I need to launch Windows Task manager, and manually kill LabVIEW.exe. This problem still present with LV 2016.

Versions: LabVIEW 2015/2016 32 bit

Windows 7 Enterprise x64

What is strange, sometimes Windows is able to properly shutdown LV, but not always...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,469 Views)

Let me guess: this happens only if you run specific application code before closing LV.

That means: open LV, wait some time (not loading or running things) then closing LV will work as expected.

Please let us know if my guess is to the point.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,463 Views)

Yes, so far when I just open LV, wait a bit, and I try to close it, it does it OK. However I could not find what steps are required to reproduce the problem, what is the "specific application"...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,427 Views)

My assumption is that you have code which doesn't exit properly (so called "Zombie Process").

This can be a VI you spawn (e.g. by dynamic loading/execution) or external code which already zombifies the system when the code is loaded. That could be for instance a DLL.

My recommendation is that you try to pinpoint which could you have to load or execute in order for the issue to occur.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,422 Views)

I see this behaviour often even if I just open a simple VI, like an example to help someone in the forum. Even no project is opened, and no dynamic calls at all. So there cannot be anything at LV side which is launched by me and not closed properly...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,417 Views)

As this behavior is unexpected and is affecting several LV versions on your machine, i would focus on things which are on your systems.

Two questions on this:

- Did you modify LabVIEW.ini and copy it from old version to new version?

- Did you install 2016 in parallel to 2015 and if so did you use separate, dedicated folders (which is default selection)?

Norbert

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,415 Views)

I've seen instances where plugins don't always shut down properly.  I think older versions of Viewpoint's TSVN tool kit does this.  (Now it just crashes on exit if you don't disable icon updates before exiting.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,406 Views)

@Norbert_B wrote:

As this behavior is unexpected and is affecting several LV versions on your machine, i would focus on things which are on your systems.

Two questions on this:

- Did you modify LabVIEW.ini and copy it from old version to new version?

- Did you install 2016 in parallel to 2015 and if so did you use separate, dedicated folders (which is default selection)?

Norbert

No ini modification done. LV2016 was installed after 15, everything is by default, so paths of folders.

billko: I do not use such toolkits.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,400 Views)

Is that a virtual machine?

Norbert

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,363 Views)

No, not virtual machine. Actually this is not a big issue, just slightly annoying, and so far did not find a deterministic way to reproduce it. If the issue was bigger, I would have certainly spent more time with investigation. So that is why I just made this post, so I might get some hints what can cause this, but obviously many things could, we talk about MS Windows 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,359 Views)