From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which oscilloscope - Agilent or Tek?

New project is funded.  Includes generating pulses and measuring rise time of DUT.  Have $18K budget for oscilloscope & waveform generator.  Must use bench-type instruments, Tek or Agilent (not negotiable.).  Measurements for this project not at all stretching state-of-the-art, but want to buy equipment that would be good for future projects (i.e.: 4-channel >= 500 MHz o-scope.)  Software for this project will be LabView - and I'll be learning it during this project.  The question is... for current model 'scopes, which brand, Tek or Agilent, has the most tried & true LabView drivers?  We've mostly used Agilent 'scopes & like their triggering but in this case I need instruments that are going to be quick to get up and running with LabView with the least problems & shortest learning curve.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,219 Views)

If I were you, I would just download the drivers and choose which one will do what you need.  Use the Find Instrument Drivers from the LabVIEW welcome window.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Tek scopes and ended up writing my own set of drivers.  It was fairly simple.  There's just a lot of configurations and settings.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,192 Views)

I have not worked with the drivers for either brand of scopes recently so I canont comment on that.  Like crossrulz I often end up looking at the drivers for ideas and writing my own.

About 3-4 years ago I bought a scope in that range from Tek. And returned it. Then got Agilent. The scope had horrible noise problems due to the internal switching power supplies or screen/display drivers.  Tek finally admitted they knew about the issue but had no fix.  I had always preferred the Tek scopes but learned to like the Agilent.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,159 Views)